Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#1403369  by Noel Weaver

I think this question has come up before but here goes. The station was originally intended to handle Amtrak as well as Metro-Rail (Orange Line) and Tri-Rail. It is working quite well for Metro-Rail and Tri-Rail. In fact it is the best place to connect between the two especially for the elderly and handicap. On the other hand the platform tracks are not really long enough to fully accommodate Amtrak without blocking a crossing at the north end of the station. In addition it is not really beneficial for Amtrak to use this station. Their facilities are in Hialeah adjacent to the present station and using the new facility will involve a long back up move to the yard maybe involving an extra yard job and for certain a lot more expense and time. While parking is available at the new facility it will cost to use it and at the present facility Amtrak can offer plenty of free parking. Traffic can also be a nightmare around the airport area at any time. It is not difficult for Metro-Rail or Tri-Rail passengers to transfer to Amtrak at Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale or any Tri-Rail station that Amtrak stops at. At this point I will not say that it won't ever happen but I doubt if Amtrak will use that new facility at the Miami International Airport anytime soon and maybe never. Amtrak has a major maintenance facility adjacent to their Miami passenger station in Hialeah and it is a benefit to have them close to each other.
Noel Weaver
 #1460282  by farecard

Side question:

I'm arriving Miami on #91 in 10 days, and will transfer to MetroRail or a bus to get closer to the Causeway.

It looks like more than a hop skip & a jump to do the transfer, given luggage. How far is it?
Or should I take Tri-rail to MIA, on from there?

on-topic: The press is now saying "end of 2018" for Central; which will be first, it or PTC completion?
 #1460313  by Rockingham Racer

If you want to get to downtown, change to Tri-Rail at Hollywood, then get off at Hialeah and go up the escalator to MetroRail to get you to Government Center. The L bus used to run directly from the Amtrak Miami station to Miami Beach, I believe. What causeway are you talking about?
 #1460320  by Noel Weaver

Your best bet for transfer from Tri-Rail to Metro-Rail is Miami Airport, less walking, new facility and elevators that work. You ride the Orange Line so if you have to wait for a train at least you are already on the train and not on a hard bench. I have made this transfer many times.
Noel Weaver
 #1460338  by farecard

I'm headed to South Beach at 5th, but my friend can come pick me up.
The idea was to get closer than the existing Amtrak station.
The downside is the delay in transferring to Tri Rail which is has far longer headways than MetroRail.
 #1460380  by farecard

Rockingham Racer wrote:If you want to get to downtown, change to Tri-Rail at Hollywood, then get off at Hialeah and go up the escalator to MetroRail to get you to Government Center. The L bus used to run directly from the Amtrak Miami station to Miami Beach, I believe. What causeway are you talking about?

Macarthur, A1A.

I see the 112/L, and I guess I can take the Trolley south from it. (The http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/librar ... s/9031.pdf page is 404, however....)

If the Star arrives earlier, I see a TriRail->150 connection as well.
 #1460468  by Noel Weaver

If Amtrak is on or close to their schedule you will not have to wait too long for a Tri-Rail connection at West Palm, Deerfield, Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood whereever you chose to transfer. If Amtrak is following a Tri-Rail commuter train south out of WPB they will still be following the same train all the way south. Tri-Rail runs hourly but much more often in the AM and PM rush. Ride Tri-Rail south to the very last stop at MIA and change there to a Metro-Rail Orange Line train.
Noel Weaver