Railroad Forums 

• MHWA operations

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#1267610  by NS59

Would like to head out and catch the MHWA at Rome and Utica. Anyone know what the normal days and times of operations
are in this area?

Thanks,

Dave
 #1283537  by joha107

I believe they are mostly a M-F operation out of Utica. Best bet is to go down to the Utica station in the morning and shoot the Chicago Line while you wait for them to come on duty, I want to say they start at 0800 then depart for Rome at around 0900 or so. You just have to protect against the possibility of them going north up the Lyons Falls line.
 #1291102  by nessman

Caught them switching Rome Strip Steel today (Thursday 9/4) around 11:30 am.
 #1319112  by oibu

I assume MHWA still goes to Rome most days, but Lyons Falls is still as-needed 1-2 days a week? What about Carthage? Any regular days/times up there? THANKS.
 #1336238  by Trainmanal4243

ALCO CEN 425 number MHWA 2453 has returned to Utica after ten years in Scranton. MHWA 805 is getting some log due overhaul repairs and might even receive a new paint job. Track crew is building a new track in Utica yard along the old NYC track 4 on the north side of the yard. for more plastic pellet cars and storage cars. they are building it long enough to store a CSX oil train in things back up like last winter on CSX.

trainmanal
 #1342276  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

I've noticed crews at Rome upgrading crossings and putting in new ties, so business must be good. I usually catch them on the return trips from Rome strip steel, American Alloy, and at Griffiss around noonish. Anybody know how often, or what time The M.A.&N. makes runs to Boonville?
 #1390205  by ut-1

Heading to Rome on CSX, 2042 approaches Reber Road, Rome, on June 23rd at 10:26 am. Also, here's a link to a short video showing a few scenes of MA&N's trip to Rome on 2/22/16:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-FShDpZWek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments:
Atomic.JPG
Atomic.JPG (221.74 KiB) Viewed 15897 times
 #1392279  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

ut-1 wrote:Heading to Rome on CSX, 2042 approaches Reber Road, Rome, on June 23rd at 10:26 am. Also, here's a link to a short video showing a few scenes of MA&N's trip to Rome on 2/22/16:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-FShDpZWek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice! Always a peaceful place to do some railfanning