• Mexico City Metro elevated subway section collapses, 23 killed so far

• General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by STrRedWolf

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 021-05-04/
At least 23 people were killed and 65 were hospitalized when a railway overpass and train collapsed onto a busy road in Mexico City on Monday night, crushing cars under fallen carriages and rubble.

The authorities halted rescue efforts shortly after they began, saying there was a risk that more train parts and debris could slam down onto the road.

A video on local channel Milenio TV showed the structure plummeting onto a stream of cars near the Olivos station in the southeast of the city at around 10.30 p.m. local time, sending up clouds of dust.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Not to minimize the tragic impact of this incident in the least, CDMX's system is rubber tired atop concrete "rails". This is same as Paris, Miami Metro Mover, Detroit, and who knows where else I've been in this world that has same, but does not come readily anymore to this almost 80yo mind.
  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:59 am Not to minimize the tragic impact of this incident in the least, CDMX's system is rubber tired atop concrete "rails". This is same as Paris, Miami Metro Mover, Detroit, and who knows where else I've been in this world that has same, but does not come readily anymore to this almost 80yo mind.
This is Line 12. It's traditional steel wheel on metal rail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City_Metro_Line_12
  by Gilbert B Norman

Stand Corrected, Mr. Wolf:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/me ... d=msedgdhp

Photo clearly shows steel rail and a truck with steel wheels.

Meantime, the finger pointing "blame game" hath beginneth . Something tells me they are quite proficient at such down there.
  by STrRedWolf

From a fellow artist who lives in Mexico:
Yeah that happened. The subway route that has been questionable since the beginning, done cheaply and tons of obvious corruption, finally [email protected] toll
MSN notes the line is maintained by a third party contractor. NBCNews has a reporter digging into it as well, and had a report from Mexico City for the Today show.
  by Gilbert B Norman

CBS Radio News reports the outside contractor is a French concern.

"Smell the Tacos a cookin'"

BTW; Not The First This one on the rubber tire lines I rode during '75.

Here's a New Zealand source reporting on the possible "French Connection" :

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/441860 ... adly-crash

Apparently, CBS News could have been confused in that Alstom built the cars, and could easily hold a maintenance contract for such. But it appears the incident lay with a structural failure and not rail equipment.

Somebody knew there was trouble even as early as '14.
  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:23 am ...But it appears the incident lay with a structural failure and not rail equipment.

Somebody knew there was trouble even as early as '14.
I'm so expecting that when they sonar scan the pillars, instead of rebar it's empty beer cans. The locals (from what I'm hearing from my fellow artist there) that there was tons of cash allotted to the project... and that corruption was guaranteed.
  by kitchin

Rebar is a continuing problem. Some university engineering departments have turned to electron microscopy to look at imported steel in sign and light standards too. There's even some evaluation of using stainless steel rebar in concrete. Also, there's already high-strength patented concrete with impregnated plastic fiber.

Did this elevated suffer from single-point-of-failure design, or just general weakness?
  by CharlieL

While all the above are possibilities, who designed the bridge? Is it possibly the same company that designed the bridge in Florida that collapsed while being placed ? That same company is responsible for the collapse of the Florida bridge and one other from what was in the news at the time.