Railroad Forums 

• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1620891  by Railcar1

AceMacSD wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:03 pm You could say that. Those high nosers were junk too. They didn't last long in north Jersy.
I’ve always wondered if the Conrail crews hated running them because they’re set up long hood forward and because of the visibility issues of a hi nose unit.
 #1621016  by AceMacSD

Yes they were set up backwards but they were still junk. If someone wants to talk junk about engines, those were them. There were a few high noses that were assigned to the Island. They spent most of their time in the shop. Don't recall the engine #s but they were all junk.
 #1621018  by Bracdude181

If you have the general time they were around I may be able to find out what engines they were. Seems Conrail usually gets the 51 and 5200 series high hoods. Although there were exceptions. 5019 for example.
 #1621027  by CR7876

We had some junk in those early days after the split. I remember Super7's in Manville, only place I remember seeing GE 4 axle yard power. I can't remember the number but they did send the high hood to Port Reading, couldn't really do much since it lacked cab signals.
 #1621055  by AceMacSD

Those high nosers were coming in and out of north Jersey since the split and at times before. Conrail engines looked like Caddy's in comparison. Last saw one at the Island when they sent us those remotes about about 5 or 10 years ago. They did go down to Bayway and Port Reading but they wouldn't last long. One of them died on a local and ended up blocking access in or out of a plant. Never saw one beyond the Island afterward. Since you're a southern fan you'll probably enjoy this. Talking about these junkers with the guys they said one did go to Browns. It left as quickly as it came in. They were telling us that someone was going to take it down the Southern as a trailer just to show it off for an NS guy. As it went with those junkers, it died before leaving the yard. They had to drill it out.
CR, I had to look up those super7s. Don't remember them. I may've used them and never paid any attention.