• Metrorail closes 39 above-ground stations (Dec 19 Storm)

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by farecard

justalurker66 wrote: {Ft Totten} is open with a train boarding at the moment ... The station itself is open air. Perhaps they were cleaning show when you checked?!
I refer to: http://wmata.com/getting_around/images/ ... legend.gif My memory is that much of the Green platform is within the tunnel itself. Granted, the turnaround might be difficult but there should be an interlocking somewhere south of there; John will know exactly where.
Is Cleveland third rail? Seems like a bad example anyways since Cleveland RTA doesn't keep going on a good day. There are huge service gaps during midday. Chicago might be a better example of a system that takes a snowfall and keeps running ... and is also 3rd rail.
I'm familiar with RTA in many real blizzards and unless they pulled the cat down; it kept going. Maybe not frequently by our standards but....
With WMATA's history of banging trains together it is better not to be running them on slick rails. Especially on a weekend when people shouldn't be out.
You avoid banging cars together the old-fashioned way; lots of space between.

My point was: why is the third rail getting buried given periodic runs by the trains with deicing and scrapers.

Side issue: can someone confirm that loss of third rail to the lead car is not fatal to movement?
  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
I refer to: http://wmata.com/getting_around/images/ ... legend.gif My memory is that much of the Green platform is within the tunnel itself. Granted, the turnaround might be difficult but there should be an interlocking somewhere south of there; John will know exactly where.

Half of the station platform is under the hill to the west, roughly 100' of the east end of the platform in under the entrance mezzanine.

The nearest interlocking west of the station is beyond inbound end of the Georgia Avenue-Petworth station.
  by justalurker66

farecard wrote:
justalurker66 wrote: {Ft Totten} is open with a train boarding at the moment ... The station itself is open air. Perhaps they were cleaning show when you checked?!
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.95192 ... &t=h&hl=en

The exposed portion of the green line station is east of the red line. Trains must pass through the outdoor section to get to the main part of the station.

BTW: The image you linked was modified Friday, February 20, 2009 11:34:55 AM
With WMATA's history of banging trains together it is better not to be running them on slick rails. Especially on a weekend when people shouldn't be out.
You avoid banging cars together the old-fashioned way; lots of space between.

My point was: why is the third rail getting buried given periodic runs by the trains with deicing and scrapers.
Do they have enough "polishing" cars to do the job?
  by farecard

justalurker66 wrote:
I'd think that mere mortal consists would do the job much of the time. So run a "special" and then 5 normal ones, etc.

On Ft. Totten, it appears WMATA also thinks it is covered enough to keep going. I envisioned pulling in only far enough to meet the platform.
  by justalurker66

farecard wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:
I'd think that mere mortal consists would do the job much of the time. So run a "special" and then 5 normal ones, etc.

On Ft. Totten, it appears WMATA also thinks it is covered enough to keep going. I envisioned pulling in only far enough to meet the platform.
If you believe John (I do) and see the areal photo I linked the exposed portion of the station isn't much. I suppose they could stop short of the exposed section and make passengers walk through the exposed section to get to from the train to the station building but it would make more sense to do whatever was needed to keep that section of "open rail" open and stop under the red line. It doesn't look like that section is prone to drifting as much as the more exposed sections of rail are.
  by Sand Box John

"justalurker66"
If you believe John (I do) and see the areal photo I linked the exposed portion of the station isn't much. I suppose they could stop short of the exposed section and make passengers walk through the exposed section to get to from the train to the station building but it would make more sense to do whatever was needed to keep that section of "open rail" open and stop under the red line. It doesn't look like that section is prone to drifting as much as the more exposed sections of rail are.

The lower level was shut down only on Saturday 12 19 2009. When truncated service resumed Sunday 12 20 2009 the lower level was opened. 2 other surface segments were opened before the end of service on Sunday, Medical Center > Shady Grove and the L Route between L'Enfant Plaza and Pentagon.

Sunday night around midnight I checked the next train arrivals at www.wmata.com/rail/stations.cfm trains were running with no passenger to their normal terminals only in Maryland.
  by SchuminWeb

The entire lower level platform is actually covered the entire length - there is nothing open to the sky. I have a feeling that they were able to run out to Fort Totten because of that, and that any accumulation on the track bed would be minor.
  by justalurker66

SchuminWeb wrote:The entire lower level platform is actually covered the entire length - there is nothing open to the sky.
Nothing except the rails ...
  by Robert Paniagua

Boston's red Line and Orange Line tracks (I believe) has special heaters that allow for open air service, we got the same storm on the 20th and Red/Orange Line Service uphere in Boston ran with little troubles
  by farecard

Robert Paniagua wrote:{W}e got the same storm on the 20th and Red/Orange Line Service uphere in Boston ran with little troubles
Err. You got nailed with 18-22" of snow? I know you got something but....