Railroad Forums 

• Metro's revised track work & maintenance plan

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1389904  by srepetsk

Speed couplers were turned this morning between EFC and Ballston track 1 (Surge 1 track), not exactly sure why, but it sounds like a possible track issue. There was also ~3 hours of medium speed restriction on Sunday in the same genera area, although that turned out to be a false report.
 #1390269  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
Metro has put out an updated list of what was accomplished during Surge 1: http://www.wmata.com/Images/Mrel/MF_Upl ... urge1.pdf?

Based on what saw today on my way back from taking picture of DCMP phase II they have done a hell of lot more the that.

WMATA and its contractor are in the process of replacing all of the traction power cables between the third rail and the substation under the junction turnouts and between the third rail and the tiebreaker stations under the west end of the pocket track. They are in the process of installed all new conduits that provides a more direct path between the third rail and the switch gear in the substation, tiebreaker station and the third rail.
 #1392043  by srepetsk

...and since the end of the Surge 2 shutdown, there've been numerous issues with the track in the area. Narrow gauge by switch 9, switch 15 going out of correspondence, and signaling issues. Can anybody shed light onto the actual causes of whats' been going on in the area? The fluff WMATA PR is feeding the media isn't being very helpful.
 #1392048  by MCL1981

They need to be broken in? I don't buy that one bit. And I don't buy that an entire stretch of narrow gauge is a matter of breaking in either. The board failure is the only thing that I'd believe, and that could happen at any time, anywhere. Beyond that, I have no reason to believe the problems are anything by incompetence during installation and configuration.
 #1392049  by srepetsk

JDC wrote:Here is the 'fluff' from Metro: one of the switches causing problems was not replaced, a computer board was bad, and the new switches need 'to be broken in'. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr- ... ond-surge/
That's one of the more decent articles (maybe the only?) since; I was specifically thinking of this kind of tweet with PR-ese in it. I know there's much I don't know about track/structures, but was hoping someone that knows more can actually shed light to what the real issues have been.
 #1392473  by JDC

That video showing joint elimination is SO unhelpful haha.

Anyway, I for one am SO thrilled to see the results of Surges 3/4. I ride over this segment on my commute and there always seems to be speed restrictions - in the summer because of the heat, in the winter because of the cold, or just because it's daylight. A smoother ride will be greatly appreciated!