Railroad Forums 

• Metro Proposes More Fare Discounts, No Increased Service In 2023 Budget

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1583992  by davinp

Metro is proposing a budget for next year that includes a slew of fare perks, continuing the transit agency’s attempts to draw in riders during a slow pandemic recovery process.

Starting with the next fiscal year in July 2022, Metro could add late-night fare discounts, reduced-rate monthly passes, and a bonus for frequent riders, while maintaining the same service levels as this past year (before the 7000-series trains were pulled from service.)

https://dcist.com/story/21/11/01/metro- ... bRFckbAqOk
 #1583994  by danib62

I really wish WMATA would focus on some sort of income based reduced fare program instead of across the board discounts. I feel like a good number of rush hour riders are federal employees whose fares are paid by the government and don't care what their fare is as long as it's under the maximum benefit of $265/month. By lowering fares across the board I feel like you leave a good amount of that revenue on the table.