Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Nester

Aren't engineers supposed to sound the horn at crossings? I wonder if the driver heard the train coming.

"A police officer who would not give his name said Bryan should be thankful." -- A cop who wouldn't give his name?? Who writes this stuff?

by NJD8598

There were a few people that refused to give their name, I think the other was the engineer. There's a picture in today's Advocate that shows the car with extensive damage, but I can see how he got out. My guess would be that he just didnt hear or see the train.

by DutchRailnut

>>the private driveway leading to United Marine Boat Yard<<
Train does not blow for private xrossings, only public crossings.
And no engineers do not give their name to Newspaper folks .
If the owner of the marine wants gates its only about $100K for simple installation and $10k for maintenance.
He currently has STOP sign's on both sides of the track.

ps same engineer as the stupid railfan, who says a rail job is boring.

by harmon44

It's no suprise the police officer wouldn't give his name, with all the rules and regulations about releasing info. Let the PIO do it. They get paid a lot to screw up the facts. Any quote in the paper will only come back to haunt you later.

by Clean Cab

This location is a pain in the butt to all engineers who operate on the Danbury branch. Over the last 3 years, 4 cars have ignored the STOP signs and darted out in front of trains. Thankfully the speed through this area is only 25 MPH.

Even if crossing gates, lites and bells were installed at this troublesome location, some jerks would still ignore them anyway!! You just can't put up protection at every driveway and goat path. Drivers just have to pay a bit more attention to the road, and less attention to their cell phones!!

by Tadman

hopefully he was cited at the maximum dollar amount for disobeying a stop sign.

by Otto Vondrak

What are those signs I see all over Connecticut grade crossings? "Use of private crossing subject to the control of the owner" or something like that?

-otto-

by shadyjay

What are those signs I see all over Connecticut grade crossings? "Use of private crossing subject to the control of the owner" or something like that?

Stop Sign / Private RXR Crossing / Use Subject to Control of Owner

At least on the VRR, these were installed at all private crossings in the early 1990s and replaced these....
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... _Railroad

I guess the addition of "Use Subject to Control" line is to state that it is indeed a private crossing and that you are going beyond state liability and into the "unknown" (sorry - best description I could think of - gotta be some legal mumbojumbo).

I have dozens of shots of the backs of those signs, but none of the front. Figures!

-JH