Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RiverMP21

I have 6 Metro-North M1 cars in my yard right now, waybilled for the AAR Test Center in Pueblo, CO. The cars are 8220/8221, 8340/8341, and 8332/8333. I will try and get some photos later.

They will be leaving sometime today on a St. Louis - Kansas City train.

by DutchRailnut

Probably sold to AAR for crash testing.
They have a test site in pueblo were transit cars are crashed to learn how to manage energy dispersion.

by RiverMP21

Dutch,

A few of the cars are indicated as brake test cars... whether this means crash braking or something else however is another question....

Mike

by RiverMP21

Here are the cars on the M-STLSPM1-08A passing through Valley Park, MO.

by mncommuter

Great shot, RiverMP21.

Thanks for sharing it here.

by Otto Vondrak

I'm sure those folks in the Show Me State was wondering what a bunch of "subway cars" were doing in their yard! Thanks for sharing the pic!

-otto-

by RiverMP21

Otto,

I know I was the only person in the yard who knew what the cars were! I was working as the Yardmaster at the time the cars were being switched, and as soon as I saw the distinctive shape in the cameras, I knew there were some "old friends" in the yard.

The cars were delivered to us by the TRRA from CSX. They are currently in Lincoln, NE. At first, the cars were badordered here in St. Louis because our crews were unfamiliar with the braking system. After a day, however, they were cleared and put on the STLSPM.

The day the train departed, I was working third shift, so I decided to chase the train out of town before I had to go to work. Right after I took my photo at Valley Park, the train stopped to make a setout. I was standing next to the M1s when the crew cut the air back into the train, and it was great to hear the sound of the brakes kicking off on the M1s again. Took me back to the platform at Tarrytown!

I've got some more photos, and will post them in the next day or so.

by brnxvill

I'm going to miss these old trains. I'm sure I rode on one if not all of these at one time or another.Sad.

by Terrapin Station

Thanks for the info and the photos! I've seen that movie clip of an old Arrow or Silverliner of something being crashed into a concrete wall out at Pueblo. I hope they make a movie (and release it publicly) of these being crashed too!

by Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station wrote:Thanks for the info and the photos! I've seen that movie clip of an old Arrow or Silverliner of something being crashed into a concrete wall out at Pueblo. I hope they make a movie (and release it publicly) of these being crashed too!
I found the video and info about the tests, in case anyone is intrested:

http://www.volpe.dot.gov/sdd/crashworthy.html

http://www.arasvo.com/tr_crash_1car.htm

by huntersails23

goodbye,old friends.

you will indeed be missed....

my first train ride in new york was an M1 from new york to croton-harmon about 9 years ago.

thanks for getting me hooked.

by glennk419

Terrapin Station wrote:Thanks for the info and the photos! I've seen that movie clip of an old Arrow or Silverliner of something being crashed into a concrete wall out at Pueblo. I hope they make a movie (and release it publicly) of these being crashed too!
Not to take this too far OT but those cars were the original Budd Pioneer III cars built for the PRR. They were the predecessor to the RDG/PRR Silverliners and Jersey Arrows. Being that they were incompatible with the rest of the MU fleet, Septa sold them to AAR to be destroyed....so much for preservation.

by Nasadowsk

And all I noticed watching the vids was how they *still* have their hollow axles on them...

Go figure - I think the SL II/III/IV and AII/III cars had 'em at one point too...

Wasn't one preserved at Altoona? Though probbably with its (sealed) ignitron equipment and main transformer ripped out. :(

by glennk419

Nasadowsk wrote:And all I noticed watching the vids was how they *still* have their hollow axles on them...

Go figure - I think the SL II/III/IV and AII/III cars had 'em at one point too...

Wasn't one preserved at Altoona? Though probbably with its (sealed) ignitron equipment and main transformer ripped out. :(
Looks like two of them were saved, 246 and 247. They currently reside at the RR Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.

http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/about/roster/motive.htm

by Nasadowsk

I'll have to check those 2 out some day. I suspect the transformers were removed (PCBs), and the rectifier groups too (mercury). A real shame - the former could just be drained out, the ignitrons in the latter are sealed units they're not going to leak either.

Unless they were from the group of 3 cars converted to sillicon diodes around 1960-62. I wonder if they uprated the somewhat minimal transformers then, too?

The propulsion system was mostly conventional on these cars - it was little more than a DC MU with a substation attached to it. The transformers were a weak part (poor cooling plus vulnerable to ignitron troubles), along with the gearboxes, which were a unique right angle drive and high RPM traction motor arrangement. AFAIK, they're the only EMUs ever built with these features - the SL II was much more conventional in that regard.

These cars were really more experimentals than production cars. They were sucessful in some ways and duds in others....