Railroad Forums 

• Metro-North looking for GCT memorbilia

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#838048  by arnstg

Metro-North is looking for memorabilia of GCT for the celebration in 2013 of its 100 years.

The article is at: cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/80/09/antiques-roadshow-grand-central-edition/?p...
 #838116  by Ocala Mike

Wonder if they have the old Telautograph machine from the old "Arrival Station" at the west tracks, or for that matter the old chalk board listing the arriving trains, circa the 1950's.
 #838365  by Noel Weaver

A lot of times these railroads themselves have been their own worst enemy when it came to saving old artifacts, I have saved my share of stuff over the years but I doubt if I have
anything that they would be able to use. I remember in years past stuff being thrown out by the car load in both New York and New Haven.
Noel Weaver
 #839617  by Tom Curtin

Ocala Mike wrote:the old chalk board listing the arriving trains, circa the 1950's.
The old chalk board --- at least I assume it's the original one! --- is still at the original location in the terminal, behind a protective plexiglas panel.
 #840161  by Kurt

still there, probably just needs a cleaning, its hard to see in the photo, but there is some water streaks on the chalk board
 #840193  by Ocala Mike

That's amazing. Glad to see the "powers that be" have a sense of history. I remember back in the 50's a very dignified-looking gentleman presided over that arrivals chalk board during the day, and wrote the entries on it in a quite remarkable handwriting. He would get the incoming track assignments from a primitive (by today's standards) Telautograph machine that I assume was directly hooked into the arrivals dispatcher's control tower.
 #841925  by fordhamroad

-why don't they park an FL-9 painted New York Central, and a borrowed museum car with NYC colors on one of the tracks as an exhibit?
They could even roll out a red carpet....... The public finds it hard to imagine non commuter agency and non Amtrak trains.

Roger