Railroad Forums 

• Metro evacuates customers from train in tunnel

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1380526  by litz

From an operations standpoint, a shove move is something that is accommodated for in procedure ... but to be honest, it doesn't matter if it's transit, freight, passenger ...

It's stressful.

In the freight (or passenger) world, you're running essentially blind, at restricted speed, with someone up front constantly calling your clearances for the track ahead, which depending on the depth of a curve, could be a very short distance.

I can't imagine transit is any different or less stressful. Nobody likes to do this.

It's always preferred to pull, if at all possible, over a push.
 #1380552  by srepetsk

MCL1981 wrote:Logic would dictate switching to a different direct radio channel for that proceed... proceed.... proceed... proceed BS. Why they would do something like that on the main road channel is mind boggling.
The recovery train still has to receive absolute blocks from Central during the ordeal and maintain situational awareness. But I do tend to agree with your logic.
 #1380572  by smallfire85

MCL1981 wrote:Logic would dictate switching to a different direct radio channel for that proceed... proceed.... proceed... proceed BS. Why they would do something like that on the main road channel is mind boggling.
For mainline moves, I would think you'd want it on the main channel so that ROCC can hear and confirm instructions passed on to the train and between the pilot and operator. The chatter would be to a minimum as it would be mainly absolute block and signal communication.

The night I had to put up with it I was standing in the yard and the communication to the operater was through the train intercom.
 #1380722  by farecard

JackRussell wrote: They can do this without burning out the traction motors on the 6-car train? Or slipping wheels? I guess if you keep the speed down and use very gentle acceleration/braking, anything is possible.
What is the empty weight of a 7000 car?
I can SWAG the load capacity, say ?150 px * 200 lbs each is 30,000 lbs. That load is not there on an unloaded consist.

But regardless, there is zero reason such a pull should damage the drive system. The VFD's surely limit the current to each motor to safe values.
With so many drive wheels, wheel slip should not be an issue either.
 #1380784  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
What is the empty weight of a 7000 car?

RFP specifies "Railcar Maximum Ready-to-Run Weight" 80,000 lbs. I have not heard anything about them being greater then 80,000 lbs, so they my actually be something less then that.

It also uses 150 lbs for the average weight of a passenger.