Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#676966  by byte

The money generated from those advertisements is equal to just another part of the funding shortfall the state/counties have not given Metra (or the CTA), resulting in them having to plaster some corporate namesake on the side of a railcar. I'm disappointed to see these cars go into service with wraps because it doesn't seem like Metra is drawing the line harshly enough that an improved funding scheme needs to be implemented. Solid subsidies should be funding our transit systems, NOT corporate interests whose viability is at the mercy of the markets.
 #677048  by doepack

byte wrote:The money generated from those advertisements is equal to just another part of the funding shortfall the state/counties have not given Metra (or the CTA), resulting in them having to plaster some corporate namesake on the side of a railcar. I'm disappointed to see these cars go into service with wraps because it doesn't seem like Metra is drawing the line harshly enough that an improved funding scheme needs to be implemented. Solid subsidies should be funding our transit systems, NOT corporate interests whose viability is at the mercy of the markets.
True. However, Metra doesn't really have much of a choice, since our fair state has STILL to yet identify any new funding sources, and the ad-wrapped cars will never completely go away until that happens. And I could rant for the umpteenth time about the wastefulness of RTA's free senior rides program (to the tune of $30M/year), or the untold losses incurred by the $5 weekend pass, plus several other examples that have forced them to buy back older cars while the older cars on ME continue to rust away, but I'll hold my tongue this time for the sake of staying on topic. To wit: If Metra is going to continue with ad-wrapping its cars, I still don't understand why they can't do a three or four car set dedicated only to BNSF. Rotate a car or two on other lines as well, but shouldn't its presence be strongest on your busiest route?
Last edited by doepack on Sun May 31, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #677073  by metraRI

doepack wrote:To wit: If Metra is going to continue with ad-wrapping its cars, I still don't understand why they can't do a three or four car set dedicated only to BNSF. Rotate a car or two on other lines as well, but shouldn't its presence be strongest on your busiest route?
I guess that would depend on the target for the ads.... which actually might not be the riders riding the line, rather the general public who will see the train enroute. Which brings the next question, where would the ad get the most attention: a BNSF Naperville Express vs a RI Branch Local. I wonder if there is some sort of agreement on the type of trains the ad would be used on...
 #677188  by doepack

metraRI wrote:
doepack wrote:To wit: If Metra is going to continue with ad-wrapping its cars, I still don't understand why they can't do a three or four car set dedicated only to BNSF. Rotate a car or two on other lines as well, but shouldn't its presence be strongest on your busiest route?
I guess that would depend on the target for the ads.... which actually might not be the riders riding the line, rather the general public who will see the train enroute. Which brings the next question, where would the ad get the most attention: a BNSF Naperville Express vs a RI Branch Local. I wonder if there is some sort of agreement on the type of trains the ad would be used on...
When the State of IL car was making the rounds on UP a few months ago, it pretty much divided its time between locals and expresses (depending on the equipment rotation for that particular day), so I don't there's any sort of restrictions on precisely which trains get the car. But if Metra were to change that philosophy, the Supercuts car currently on BNSF should definitely stay on locals...
 #677297  by justalurker66

doepack wrote:When the State of IL car was making the rounds on UP a few months ago, it pretty much divided its time between locals and expresses (depending on the equipment rotation for that particular day), so I don't there's any sort of restrictions on precisely which trains get the car. But if Metra were to change that philosophy, the Supercuts car currently on BNSF should definitely stay on locals...
The point of the State of IL car was to test out a wrap on every route ... I would expect to see it on all runs, including the less visible runs.

For advertising it would depend on the target market ... finding a set that gets several trips a day and is seen by more than just rail commuters would be a bonus in my estimation. But I'm not paying for the ad - the decision would come down to the advertiser within the limits of rail operations.
 #677335  by c604.

So when a wrapped car zooms past a crossing/station on an express train resulting in bystanders seeing it for only a fraction of a second, would that be Metra's version of subliminal advertising? :-)
 #677386  by MetraPace

I suppose the car I saw at California Ave. could have been an 8500. The end of the car I saw was the east end of it. Since there was no cab on that end, I figured it was a 6000 series. But maybe UP put the ad on the car for Metra. If the car then went to the BNSF, it would make sense that the car would be turned around from the direction that UP's cars face.

Brad
 #677434  by byte

Metra should be taking note of this:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transporta ... 1a.article

"Too Long, Didn't Read" version: the CTA's advertising subcontractor isn't doing so well. Consequently, the advertising portion of the CTA's overall revenue, which by now has grown to be substantial, is shrinking.
 #677530  by doepack

c604. wrote:So when a wrapped car zooms past a crossing/station on an express train resulting in bystanders seeing it for only a fraction of a second, would that be Metra's version of subliminal advertising? :-)
I would say so. Especially if Metra were to get cute, and have a full-wrapped car advertising their service complete with the tagline in big, bright letters: "The way to really fly!" :-D
 #678182  by F40CFan

I saw it backing down to the Chicago terminal. Tacky.