Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Amtrak31

I was just at Hickory Creek yesterday from about 4:30 to 8:45. I had no trouble with security. I didn't even see any security around. I think it's best that I don't bring my movie camera.

by MetraF40C607

It's perfectly fine to bring a video camera. I was in Wheaton all day yesterday. Not a soul bothered me, and I video everything.

by Amtrak31

Cool. I thought I shouldn't because sometimes security would ask me "Hey, what's with the video camera?"

by MetraF40C607

Well, understand that if your on public property, they can't stop you from taking pics.

by Otto Vondrak

Cops can tell you anything they want. You have to comply with their orders- you may not like it, but its in your best interests. If you feel you were treated unfairly, then get in touch with their Commanding Officer. REMEMBER- you can always come back tomorrow.

Yesterday I was stopped in Yonkers, NY, for taking pictures of the trains from a bridge that crosses the tracks. I was on a public street, on a sidewalk. However, some passer-by called me in as a "suspicious person" and the police had to respond to it as such. They told me I was doing nothing wrong, but I had to move along and come back another time. They took my info, wished me well, and we all went home.

You don't have to like it, but you do have to live with it. Just remember that your conduct reflects on ALL railfans, so always be courteous and cooperative.

-otto-

by Tadman

The man speaks the truth about tomorrow: this is commuter rail, and while I wouldn't want to be hassled if I didn't do anything wrong, it's the only passenger train you can guarantee is going to run again and again. If we were talking about a visit by 3985 it would be a different story, but winnebagos aren't worth getting arrested over.

by MetraRy

I am sorry, but I have to disagree. Why must we be treated unfair just because we like to photograph trains. I will not let my freedom be taking away. I pay around 30 bucks for a ten ride every two weeks and my tax dollars support the outfit. If i want to take pictures i should be allowed to! people need to understand that not everone is a terriost waiting to kill them. Just my two cents..

by MikeF

MetraRy wrote:If i want to take pictures i should be allowed to!
You're absolutely right. But Tadman and Otto have a point too -- it's not going to do any good for you and other railfans if you refuse to cooperate with police, even if they are wrong. Better to do what they say and pursue the matter with their superiors later.

And it's true, Metra trains run every day and typically look the same every day. If someone tells you to leave a place, go somewhere else and come back tomorrow.

by MetraF40C607

Oh trust me, you don't want to cross the cops. Do as they say, but ya, get in touch with the police chief or something. Yes, it's unfair and wrong that we are now labeled as "suspicious people(s)," but you have to do what they say, or trust me, you'll be starting at three brick walls and some huge guy named Buba who wants to dance with you.

by JamesT4

Otto is right to just go by what the cops say so it wont be a big deal, but we should not be harrased by them either.

I am al least riding a metra train every other day, and taking pictures on public property.

If a cop tells my to leave I would just go someplace else or come back another day. But as long as I am on public property, and not doing things illegal or suspecious they should not be any problems of me taking pictures of trains.
  by Amtrak31

Sometimes Police ask me what I am doing. Most of them are very understanding, and polite. They tell me to have fun, and to have a nice day. Then they leave. :-)

by JLJ061

I've never been bothered by railroad police for taking pics, but occasionally get hassled quite a bit by the even-more-clueless general public!

Some years ago I was shooting video from the BNSF LaGrange platform, when a few people waiting for an inbound Dinky approached me to inform me that "It was illegal for me to take pictures in public without written consent of everyone who might be in the picture!"

Hmmm, I guess I need to take time off work so I can travel around the country and collect, what, about 250 million signatures, eh? :wink:

by AmtrakFan

Well Folks I haven't been hassled by the public or the police before.

by MetraBNSF

AmtrakFan wrote:Well Folks I haven't been hassled by the public or the police before.
Same here.

by Sam Damon

JLJ061 wrote:I've never been bothered by railroad police for taking pics, but occasionally get hassled quite a bit by the even-more-clueless general public!

Some years ago I was shooting video from the BNSF LaGrange platform, when a few people waiting for an inbound Dinky approached me to inform me that "It was illegal for me to take pictures in public without written consent of everyone who might be in the picture!"

Hmmm, I guess I need to take time off work so I can travel around the country and collect, what, about 250 million signatures, eh? :wink:
Everyone just wants to be a movie star. :-)

AFAIK, you don't need model releases for documentary photography, but IANAL.