Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1186126  by CHTT1

Not saying there can't be improvements (hey, run all the Joliet trains via the main line and run separate Beverly branch trains at all times, I got no problem with that), but there's no capacity problem at LaSalle St. Station and there won't be even when and if the Southwest Service trains are routed there, but there is a capacity problem at Randolph Street (only five tracks with lots of arrivals and departures) with the current Metra Electric service. Getting the Beverly DMU'S or EMU's from the Rock to the Electric District could be done via the St. Charles Air Line, but would unnecessarily lengthen the trip (LaSalle Street would be in sight as the trains turn east and then north. Unless you want to start the trains in Brainard, run south along the Beverly branch and then hook up with the Electric near Vermont St. in Blue Island, which of course would have the train running in the wrong direction for a big portion of the trip.
 #1217742  by c604.

Im not sure where else to put this so at least this thread is rock related. There was what looked like a private car charter pulled by a freight loco inbound on the rock at englewood around 1pm today. I only got a quick look at it.
 #1217851  by tytrain

c604. wrote:Im not sure where else to put this so at least this thread is rock related. There was what looked like a private car charter pulled by a freight loco inbound on the rock at englewood around 1pm today. I only got a quick look at it.
I saw a CRL engine with Mid-America passenger cars southbound on the Rock @ 35th Lou Jones a few weeks back. I wonder if that's what you saw as well?
 #1217946  by metraRI

tytrain wrote:I saw a CRL engine with Mid-America passenger cars southbound on the Rock @ 35th Lou Jones a few weeks back. I wonder if that's what you saw as well?
Most likely. 4 or 5 Mid-America cars have been sitting in Blue Island yard for 2 weeks or so. I have no idea why they were around.
 #1273584  by Thunder

The Beverly is a fine set up. It is run by timetable and direction yes and I think the only location in the country where flagging is required.

I know this is an old thread, but DMU to millenium? Really? All of you that say this line is a joke go out and get a schedule and see how many trains traverse this line. For thos eof you thinking it is a joke on the weekend? Go rid an early train or a late train.

6 cars down the sub third world? What is 525 then with its 9 car monster? As for capacity issues at Lasalle, , you think there are none and it will be easy to store the SWS trains there, obviously you have never worked for the Rock Island District to see the weaving in and out we do there. But I digress. I am on the inside looking out I guess.
 #1289504  by JamesT4

MODERATORS NOTE

The Last post here was deleted because it was not on topic, & it was offensive to some members, & me.

I usually don't post that much here, but if I see offensive topics, or it is reported, I will delete it, & report it to the ADMINS!! NO Questions Asked.
 #1291681  by wintower

JamesT4 wrote:MODERATORS NOTE

The Last post here was deleted because it was not on topic, & it was offensive to some members, & me.

I usually don't post that much here, but if I see offensive topics, or it is reported, I will delete it, & report it to the ADMINS!! NO Questions Asked.
Why? I only told the truth. It occurred to me that maybe you live in…"that neighborhood".
 #1291874  by Jeff Smith

wintower wrote:
JamesT4 wrote:MODERATORS NOTE

Why? I only told the truth. It occurred to me that maybe you live in…"that neighborhood".
I reviewed the original post upon James' request. Whether or not you judge the post to be offensive or true, it was about the neighborhood, not rail operations. We've had this argument in the past.

Let's keep it to the Beverly Branch operations. Thanks.
 #1334281  by EricL

Yes.... certainly hope it catches on. And hopefully it will do a little to alleviate the common weekend phenomenon (which exists on ALL the full service districts, not just RID) of trains running ridiculously late at the various "inner" stops, due to excess/inexperienced pax loading at all of the many stops up to those points.