Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by rail10

Do you know of any area that metra commuter trains passes over or under cta transit tracks or along side it.?

by byte

Just off the top of my head...

The Heritage Corridor runs next to the Orange line for a good portion of the latter's total distance. On the Rock Island, on the segment running next to the Dan Ryan, you can see Red Line trains where buildings don't block the view west.

by MetraRy

UP-W runs along the green line through Austin and Oak Park. UP-N runs along the purple line through Evanston. BNSF passes under the blue line. NW line runs on a fill along the Blue Line to O'hare until Jefferson Park.

by JamesT4

MetraRy wrote: BNSF passes under the blue line.
Now Pink Line.

The UP North line runs next the brown line for a short distance, but brown line turns west before the Ravenswood Station.

by doepack

And don't forget:

-Milwaukee North, which passes over the Kennedy expy segment of the Blue line just north of Mayfair crossing...

-NCS, crossing over the Blue line at I-90 just south of the O'hare station...

-Rock Island ducks under the Englewood branch of the Green line at 63rd (and I think it goes over the Ryan/Red line just south of there...)

-The approaches to the OTC platforms and the north side of CUS underneath Madison (and the six total Metra lines that use them) both slide under the Green line; in fact, trains going in/out of OTC can be easily seen from the Clinton St. Green line station, at the far east end of the platform...
MetraRy wrote:BNSF passes under the blue line...
...or Pink line if you prefer, and I believe this to be the only Metra line that crosses the same CTA line twice: Once at Paulina, about a mile E of the Western Ave station, then goes under it again about six blocks west of there at Marshall Blvd. (3000W), two blocks east of Kedzie...

by JamesT4

doepack wrote:
MetraRy wrote:BNSF passes under the blue line...
...or Pink line if you prefer, and I believe this to be the only Metra line that crosses the same CTA line twice: Once at Paulina, about a mile E of the Western Ave station, then goes under it again about six blocks west of there at Marshall Blvd. (3000W), two blocks east of Kedzie...
That is Correct.

The first one is just a couple blocks west of Ashland, and a couple of blocks north of 18th, and the Kedzie one. From the BNSF Trains you can see the Kedzie Station from a passing BNSF Train.

by ChiTownHustler

byte wrote:On the Rock Island, on the segment running next to the Dan Ryan, you can see Red Line trains where buildings don't block the view west.
Better! At 18th St between Clark and Wentworth, the RI runs
1) a short walk from the Green Line,
2) about 20 feet away from the Red Line, and
3) underneath the Orange Line.

Go sit in the pagoda at Ping Tom Park sometime. You've got the RI and Red Line within sight to the east, the Orange Line on the edge of the park, a rarely used freight line at the park's edge, the Amtrak and Metra traffic on the 21st St bridge (just west across the river), and the river itself with tugs and barges. There's even the Metra yard nearby and some abandoned track just west of the 18th St bridge.