Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

by doepack

F40CFan wrote:Last evening (04/15/2008), I saw 414 MU'd with 211 getting ready to back a train down to CUS.
"MU'd?!" You mean doubleheaded, right? This ain't the east coast, man! :P

Just kidding; I know that MU'd is the proper term; besides, lashups like that are rare outside of the Burlington. Actually, I'm surprised we haven't been called out on the inaccuracy more often from other non-local posters...

by Tadman

Ohhhhhhh boy...
The use of the phrase "doubleheading" was hotly debated over at the Metro North forum about a year ago. Dutch and a few others got into that one pretty heatedly, and I thought it was a very semantic point. It's not like using the completely wrong term to describe something - IE using the word "hopper car" to describe an MP36. It's a widely accepted term for using 2+ locomotives regardless of crew situation, as far as I've seen. But don't tell that to the guys on the MN forum...

by F40CFan

doepack wrote:"MU'd?!" You mean doubleheaded, right? This ain't the east coast, man! :P

Just kidding; I know that MU'd is the proper term; besides, lashups like that are rare outside of the Burlington. Actually, I'm surprised we haven't been called out on the inaccuracy more often from other non-local posters...
I thought of using doubleheaded, but someone on another thread was reminded in no uncertain terms that "MU" was proper. Maybe I'll just play it safe and use "doing the honors".

Speaking of which, I saw 414 doing the honors with 112 last night. Ah, I feel safer already.

by F40CFan

Just an FYI.

414 has been running solo for about 3 weeks and 611 and 614 are still in their normal spot at Western Ave.

by metraRI

Another note, 104 which was thought to be out of service until rebuild is back on SWS.

by doepack

Have 100 & 101 gone off for rebuild yet, or are they still on the property?

by metraRI

As far as I know, nothing has left yet.

by AMTK347

F40CFan wrote:Last evening (04/15/2008), I saw 414 MU'd with 211 getting ready to back a train down to CUS.
Today I rode on MDN #2107 to Grayslake and 414 was in the lead.

by Tadman

To preface my comments: I have not heard any rumors or suggestions of this. It's just a question.

Is IRM interested in an F40C? Has there been any talk of this?

by doepack

Tadman wrote:To preface my comments: I have not heard any rumors or suggestions of this. It's just a question.

Is IRM interested in an F40C? Has there been any talk of this?
I don't know if there's been any discussions, but a unique locomotive like that should be preserved, and I'd like to see at least one of them saved; guess it would depend on the interest level of IRM's volunteers, among other things. It's unknown at this time what Metra's long-term plans are for 611/614 once the F40's come back from rebuild; don't know if they'll be looking to get rid of them, or revert them back to their "stored serviceable" status. Guess we'll have to stay tuned...

by byte

I remember talking with an IRM volunteer (incidentally while we were riding their C&NW commuter train) a while back - early fall of 2006, I think - and it was his personal opinion that they should not obtain one, because they were large, used a lot of fuel (definitely true for "screamer" HEP mode...) and were extremely heavy in comparison to most of their equipment. That was a while ago and since then they've recieved an SD45, among other things. So who knows. Personally, I bet they get one. If this using them as F40PH fill-ins pans out, they might be in better shape by the time IRM gets them than they would be if they had just been donated right off the bat, since Metra will need to do a little work on them before putting them back in regular service.

by bones

Update:
I found out that the rebuilding will not start until about the end of the year.
  by F40CFan

If what I'm told is correct, they had better get the rebuild program going before the "boom box" 400s shake, ratlle and roll themselves apart. Apparently now the pistons are disintegrating in the cylinders due to faulty workmanship and inferior materials. Take this with a grain of salt.
  by Scotty Burkhardt

So whats going on with this project?? Any updates?? Photos of engines in transit/KY?? Realistic timeframes??

Just trying to keep this post alive.
  by Scotty Burkhardt

Jun-Jul-Aug-Sep-Oct-Nov-Dec-Jan

8 Months?? What's going on??