Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#593972  by byte

This could have been really bad, and will likely turn out to be a nice, big PR mess:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008 ... train.html
A Metra engineer faces disciplinary action after being accused of allowing a teenager to operate commuter trains, the Tribune has learned.

Two other engineers also have been suspended for allegedly permitting the teen to enter locomotive cabs, according to a report recently filed with the Federal Railroad Administration.
 #594707  by SlowFreight

From Railway Age late-breaking news:
A Metra engineer is under investigation for permitting the 18-year-old to drive trains, and he and two other two trainmen have been suspended for allegedly allowing the teen to enter locomotive cabs, according to a report filed recently with the Federal Railroad Administration.

Officials at Metra, while releasing few details, allowed that the violations were numerous and occurred on various lines in the authority's Chicagoland system. An investigative hearing is scheduled for early next month. "We are taking the allegations extremely serious[ly]," a spokeswoman said. We have met with union officials and told them that we expect them to respond appropriately if these allegations are substantiated."

Metra's concerns were echoed by FRA spokesman Warren Flatau. "Obviously this is unacceptable. This is a serious matter," Flatau said.

The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen, which represents the three Metra employees, had no official comment.

Metra reportedly learned of the unauthorized rides about two weeks ago after someone reported pictures of the teen's joy ride had appeared on the teen's MySpace page.
Joy ride? They make it sound like the engineer wasn't even in the cab...
 #594999  by coasterengineer

Teen at center of Metra scandal was aspiring engineer
"I wasn't the first, I wasn't the only and I won't be the last" to take joy rides, he says

By Stacy St. Clair | Tribune reporter
October 26, 2008
For as long as he can remember, the 18-year-old at the center of the current Metra scandal has loved trains.

As a small boy standing near the tracks, he enjoyed the wind whipping against his face as the locomotives barreled through town. When he became old enough, he would visit local depots on his own to record videos and snap pictures.

He would wait at the stations for 10 to 20 hours a week when he was in high school, often standing close to the spot where the locomotives stopped. He would wave enthusiastically to the engineers in the cabs.

"If you're lucky, sometimes they open the window and talk to you," he said.

That's how the teen says he met Brian Voss, the 12-year Metra employee now embroiled in a career-threatening investigation. The two eventually established such a close friendship that, according to a report filed with the Federal Railroad Administration, Voss permitted the teen to operate trains carrying passengers.

The teen, who is not facing criminal charges and was 17 when the incidents allegedly occurred, would not discuss the specific charges with the Tribune. But he expressed remorse over the investigation and said he didn't want to see Voss punished for encouraging a young man's dream of working the rails.

"It showed me the life," he said. "If you want this lifestyle, then you have to know what you're going to be dealing with."

Metra officials learned about the alleged rides two weeks ago after someone reported that the teen had posted photographs of his adventures on his MySpace page. The teen says the snapshots showed him inside the cab, but not driving.

In addition to the Voss investigation, two other engineers could face disciplinary action for permitting the teen to enter locomotive cabs.

All three have been suspended without pay, Metra said. A hearing has been scheduled for November.

Voss did not return calls seeking comment.

The teen, who asked not to be named, is unlikely to face criminal charges, Metra officials said. But he believes he's already being punished for the alleged joy ride because he most likely won't be able to fulfill his dream of becoming a Metra engineer.

"I've wanted to work for the railroad as long as I can remember," he says.

The allegations also have made the teen an outcast in rail-fan circles, he said. He has only been to his local train station once since the commuter rail service suspended Voss and he felt a chilly reception from both fellow enthusiasts and Metra personnel.

"It's irritating," he said. "I understand everyone's concern, but it's just a terrible situation."

Permitting unauthorized people in a locomotive is a violation of Metra policy and federal regulations because it can create a distraction. Cell phones, newspapers, music and nonessential items and activities are prohibited to ensure safety.

"This [would be] a case of willful misconduct, and that's what surprises me," said Doug Davidson, the assistant director of arbitration for the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen. "People can make mistakes, but if the allegations are true, he made a decision to engage in misconduct."

Davidson worked on Voss' behalf after he was fired for his role in a 2004 River Grove crash that killed a 10-year-old boy. Federal arbitrators overturned the ruling and ordered that he be reinstated with back pay because he was not allowed to introduce evidence during his investigative hearing and because of media coverage surrounding the charges.

Davidson said he did not believe the River Grove crash played a role in Metra's decision to launch the current investigation.

The allegations offer another glimpse into the often unusual relationship between rail fans and engineers. Rail fans were thrust into the national spotlight last month after a commuter train crash in Los Angeles that killed 25 people and injured 135 others. The train's engineer, Robert M. Sanchez, reportedly sent a text message to a group of teenage enthusiasts seconds before slamming head-on into a freight train.

Davidson, an engineer who operated a commuter line for years, said he often had young boys try to befriend him so they could get closer to the train.

But although Davidson may have shown them the cab while the train was stopped, he said they never operated the train or sat in the cab while passengers were on board.

In contrast, Voss and many other engineers have personal friendships with rail fans through social-networking sites, text messages and Internet forums.

"Things are very different today," Davidson says. "The Internet and cell phones allow engineers to get to know rail fans in a way I never did."

Because friendships between engineers and rail fans are so common, the teen accused of operating Voss' train says he believes other enthusiasts take unauthorized joy rides on commuter lines.

"I wasn't the first, I wasn't the only and I won't be the last," he said.
 #595376  by Tadman

I am not going to comment on the merits of people in the cab that may or may not be authorized to be there. However, people on this site should understand now very clearly the ramifications of the following activites:
1. Breaking railroad rules or laws.
2. Posting evidence of rule/law violations, such as naming names, showing locomotive numbers, mentioning dates.

People will loose their jobs. And honest railfans will be curtailed further from legitimate activities.

STOP IT NOW.
KEEP YOUR RULE BREAKING TO YOURSELF OR DON'T DO IT.
TAKE UP BUS-FANNING IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THIS.
 #602263  by Milwaukee_F40C

cbs2chicago.com/topstories/Metra.teen.engineers.2.865056.html

Engineers got a two month and six month vacation. Its going to be rough living for a while, but at least they probably have a job to go back to eventually. This is a good example of why we don't mess around at work, don't drop names, and don't snitch.
 #645694  by WSH

How big of a deal is it to let someone jump in the cab and snap a photo if the train is idle? Come on the bulk of in-cab photos in magazines like Classic Trains are from railfans and what about sites like Railpictures.net, there are hundreds of incab photos. I don't see the harm.

Letting someone at the controls is completely different, that's stupid, as is posting incriminating photos online.
 #645739  by bones

Engineers got a two month and six month vacation.
It's not a big deal if you don't mind losing your job. However, it would hurt me to be off even just 30 days, let alone 6 months. Also, if a guest gets hurt while up in the cab, not only is the engineer in trouble, he/ or she could probably be sued. My suggestion is when your out railfanning stay out of forbidden territory, otherwise the railroads are likely to come down on you hard and make railfanning a miserable experience.

If you were at a ballgame and your favorite team won, what would happen if you walked into the dugout? You can railfan safely without crossing any lines.
 #684524  by Darien Red Sox

MySpace page!!! This is what started the whole thing. If you are going to take a cab ride don't be stupid enough to post the photos online. Posting the wrong photos online just gets people in trouble like all of the Hockey players who got themselves suspended from the team for posting photos of themselves and friends drinking on FaceBook.