Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#152902  by usa4624

I will be visiting Chicago for a few hours next week, and would like to take some photos of the Metra Electric line. Which station(s) do you find lend themselves to photography (and safety)? I have some photos I took at Van Buren back in 2003, but they look too cluttered for my liking.

#152942  by MikeF

Homewood, with its Mediterranean Revival architecture, is rather photogenic.

#152944  by Amtrak31

That's the first spot that came to my mind. I have been there a few times. I got some really nice shots.

#153040  by MetraF40C607

Yes, Homewood is defenitally the spot too shoot. The station is bueatiful and frames any picture, freight or Metra.

#153094  by usa4624

Is the 55th-56th-57th Street in a safe place to take a few photos? I noticed it has more mid day trains (6 per hour vs. 2) than Homewood, and is an older station with wooden platforms.

Do you know of any online Metra Electric photos taken at Homewood or 55th-56th-57th Street?

#153137  by MetraF40C607

I would suppose that those platforms are safe.

#153432  by Scotty Burkhardt

Homewood is great. On top of all the electric theres also the south end of the IC yard there.

I'm personally a fan of Blue Island. You can ride the MED shoot the Electric and the Rock Island, theres also Chicago Rail Link and Iowa Interstate through that area. You also have the Rock Island as an Alternative route back into the city.

#153515  by MikeF

PRRGuy is correct, 55th-56th-57th Street station was rebuilt recently. The wood platforms and shelter are gone.

#153732  by Tadman

I'd shoot for Blue Island, Homewood, or somewhere north of Kensington for variety - otherwise it's the same 'ol trains every time.
 #736541  by fauxcelt

I remember the wooden platform and the wooden shelter at 55th-56th-57th Street station on what used to be the Illinois Central's electrified suburban line.
When I was born and for the first five years of my life, we lived in Hyde Park on 54th Place. Since the 55th-56th-57th Street station was the closest station to our apartment, we usually went there if we needed to catch the train.
We would buy our tickets at the ticket window on street level, then go through the "iron maiden", and walk up the stairs to the wooden platform to wait for the train. Despite the shelter, it could be really cold on that platform. I remember waiting for the train on that wooden platform on one really cold day in March and complaining to my mother that I was cold. She suggested that I try jumping up and down and dancing in place to keep warm until the train arrived. I guess she didn't want me running around the platform because it would probably bother the other people waiting for the train. Also, she was probably afraid I might fall off the platform onto the tracks.
What does the rebuilt station look like? What was it built of? And is there more protection from the weather now and the wind especially?
 #736843  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I would like to also mention and ask about which ME stations to avoid due to being in rough neighborhoods a good example. I remember that ME ran thru some of the better S side areas like Hyde Park but also on the other hand some South Chicago Branch locations and Blue Island Branch stations like West Pullman were places not to stop off at as examples I recall.

I recall now that a ME Conductor was shot during a hold-up on the BI Branch-how long ago and where?

ME is an interesting operation but having some street smarts could help matters...

MACTRAXX
 #736870  by byte

The conductor who was gunned down had that done to him, according to a plaque on the wall at Millennium station, "in Blue Island" and I believe it happened sometime in the 90s.
 #737547  by buddah

Byte is correct that happened in the early 90s in the Roseland area IE: Blue island branch I went to school in blue Island back then. As far as stations go Id have to say go with....

. 55-56-57 it in a good area Hyde park and not heavily (over) photographed by foamers.
. Flossmore and or Olympia fields stations have great look to then and are in very good neighborhoods.
. Also if your venturing during midday and driving , stations along 71st st ( south Chicago branch) or even Kensington ( as long as your coming from the expressway "94" to the station and back).

Don't let the last one fool you there fine to travel to during midday, just don't venture there during the evening ( high school kids are out acting a fool) and or late evening or night.

have you thought of the South Shore line (NICTD) as well there are some good stations along there line as well.