Railroad Forums 

• MEC Calais Branch telephone rings - 1970

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1563995  by BR&P

One person's trivia is another person's treasure. This is a list of the ring codes for the crank phones on the Calais Branch in 1970. The sequence of short and long rings indicated what station was being called - although anybody along the line could pick up and listen in. I'm getting rid of the sheet of paper as I reclaim the basement, but thought there might be one person out there who actually would care to see it. So preserve it well! :wink:
img400.jpg
img400.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 1427 times
 #1564835  by jbvb

If you had access to the MEC group on Facebook, its members include a bunch of Calais Branch fans and former workers. Photos on railroad.net get garbage-collected fairly frequently.
 #1565683  by BR&P

Thanks jbvb. I'm one of the 4 remaining people on the planet who are not on Facebook. (it used to be 5, but one of my buddies finally gave in and signed up. :wink: )

That branch, what little I know of it, seems like an interesting piece of railroad but it's nothing I have a special interest in. But I know how random pieces of info can mean a lot to someone who specializes in it. I'm trying to downsize and have recycled the actual piece of paper (which was only a copy itself) but the information is now preserved.

Hopefully somebody can give those folks on that FB group a heads-up. If it's of interest to one person, now or years in the future, I'm happy I helped out.
 #1566071  by BR&P

By all means, pass that around. I don't care one way or another whether you credit me, it's just a copy and not a photograph I created. I'm just happy that maybe somebody will find the information useful. For example, maybe somebody has a model layout of that branch, and they can use the crank phone rings to connect the "dispatcher" with various stations on the layout. Share it as widely and as often as you like. :-D
 #1568480  by MEC407

There is a telephone museum in Ellsworth. Maybe they'd like to have it.