Railroad Forums 

• MBTA usage of the Grafton and Upton Railroad.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1546386  by RenegadeMonster

I just saw this picture come up on my Instagram feed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB3HIjYnHlg ... k4qb279ree

And this was the accompanying copy:
On Thursday, June 18th 2020, The Grafton and Upton Railroad completed it's connection at Milford Massachusetts with the MBTA. For the first time in 35 years the little G&U is now complete! Less than a week later Keolis Commuter Rail Services (current operator of the MBTA) needed to get some equipment to Boston in which arrangements were made to use Grafton and Upton, a doubledraft train was sent Southbound to Boston via the new connection. The northbound train (shown above) is seen on the G&U at Grafton bound for the CSX/MBTA interchange at North Grafton on Wednesday June 24th 2020.

Does anyone have more history on the Grafton and Upton Railroad and information on this connection? Also, where would this connection allow for moves between and is this a benefit to the MBTA and will likely see frequent use for moves going forward?
 #1546391  by elecuyer

The "official" thread on the Grafton and Upton can be found at:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=391

In short, this was the first move in over 30 years over trackage that was only recently rebuilt. Ten years ago, if you had asked anyone familiar with the G&U if such a movement would ever occur - you would have been laughed out of the room. In the last ten years, the railroad has come back from near abandonment to a thriving shortline with multiple transload facilities.
 #1546456  by MBTA3247

RenegadeMonster wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:02 pmAlso, where would this connection allow for moves between and is this a benefit to the MBTA and will likely see frequent use for moves going forward?
This connects the Worcester Line to the Franklin Line. I don't see how it's of any use to the MBTA unless they *really* want to avoid South Station when deadheading equipment between Worcester and Readville.
 #1546462  by Cosmo

This connects the Worcester Line to the Franklin Line. I don't see how it's of any use to the MBTA unless they *really* want to avoid South Station when deadheading equipment between Worcester and Readville.
How it helps is the moves over the G&U ONLY have to travel over the G&U now that MBTA /MASDOT owns the line from Franklin to Milford via Bellingham, otherwise they would have to travers both CSX AND PanAm or go all the way into Boston and use the GJX. Both options add miles to the trip and the former requires a pilot on any tranc not MBTA, which means 2 pilots vs one for the G&U.

The main reason the G&U was used this time, however, was because of "signal work" on the B&A line East of North Grafton. While it may not happen that often in the future, I think it's safe to surmise it WILL.
 #1546476  by johnpbarlow

The reason for the Tuesday equipment move via G&U was because the MBTA Worcester/Framingham main was out of service eastward from CP-21 at Framingham for PTC signalling work (all MBTA trains were bustituted between Framingham and South Station). If just the CP-21 interlocking had been available (with track east of this control point OOS), this equipment move could have been more easily made on 100% MBTA or MassDOT owned track via the Framingham Secondary to Walpole to Readville to Boston.
 #1546508  by Cosmo

RenegadeMonster wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:22 am Did the MBTA make 2 moves over the G&U?

Videos and photos I have seen so far seem to show 2 different Consists when reporting this move.
Yes, that's correct. There were two separate moves, both "double draft" on subsequent days.
 #1546516  by Cosmo

johnpbarlow wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:11 am this equipment move could have been more easily made on 100% MBTA or MassDOT owned track via the Framingham Secondary to Walpole to Readville to Boston.
I can’t believe I forgot about the Framingham Secondary!!
That’s what I get for posting so late at night... 😳😛
 #1546520  by BandA

How long will this continue? This implies the present annulments result in two more revenue westbound trains than eastbound trains. Is the destination Boston Engine Terminal or the train yard near South Station?
 #1546895  by troffey

The train sets go to Readville, I believe for brake inspections. There were two double drafts in each direction, making an even swap of four sets. I'm not sure what the current status of CP21 is, but bustituions remain in place "through at least July 5" according to the T.
 #1546917  by apodino

This has to be creating nightmares if the MBTA has to move stuff from the South side up to BET. It sounds to me like they basically have to go down the Franklin line, up the Grafton and Upton, then from near Worcester down the Pan Am line up to Ayer and down the Fitchburg line.

Is the MBTA still moving equipment to BET during this time, or are they basically doing most of the needed for now work at Readville or Southampton?
 #1547098  by CRail

Equipment moves to BET are running as they always do. The G&U has nothing to do with the north side.