Railroad Forums 

• Mayor of Holyoke MA promotes freight rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1126893  by Cadet57

lexon wrote:Quite a few months ago the crossing signals and tracks where completely ripped up crossing Rt 33 near Westover. Forget any rail access to Westover,
I go though that area a few times a month. You would never know a railroad use to pass though there.

Rich
Yup.

Not just the crossing ALL the tracks from the main all the way to the Westover gate. Most of their tracks were ripped out years ago too.
 #1126994  by Stp243

In fact all of the tracks from RT 33, past the old gate, into the industrial park are long gone. When I went to the Westover air show in August of this year I made sure to look for the tracks on base but they are gone as well.
 #1128007  by Cadet57

Stp243 wrote:In fact all of the tracks from RT 33, past the old gate, into the industrial park are long gone. When I went to the Westover air show in August of this year I made sure to look for the tracks on base but they are gone as well.
Is there an echo in here? ;)
Cadet57 wrote:
Yup.

Not just the crossing ALL the tracks from the main all the way to the Westover gate. Most of their tracks were ripped out years ago too.
 #1531419  by Jedijk88

I have a question regarding the old Westover branch, does anyone know if Guilford/ST or B&M for that matter ever served the Ludlow side of the branch? It appears the trackage ended at the Stony Brook Power Plant in Ludlow and had several tracks serving the facility most likely for the delivery of fuel oil. The power plant came online in 1981 and was petroleum fired until 1983 when natural gas was made available. I believe Advanced Drainage Systems also had a siding and may have received plastic pellets.