Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Terrapin Station

I searched the forum but couldn't find any threads about this so I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere.

What are the maximum allowed speeds in the following areas:

1. Through the Riverdale station (and the straight-away south towards Spuyten Duyvil)
2. On the viaduct from 125th St to the Park Av tunnel entrance
3. Inside the Park Av tunnel

Using my GPS receiver, it seems that my trains have maxed out at around 58MPH on the viaduct.

by DutchRailnut

1 is 75 mph on all 4 tracks
2 is 45 tru 125th station and 60 mph on rest of viaduct.
3 60 on all 4 tracks with 45 tru the s curves on outside tracks.

by Terrapin Station

DutchRailnut wrote:1 is 75 mph on all 4 tracks
Thank you very much for that!

by Penn Central

DutchRailnut wrote:1 is 75 mph on all 4 tracks
2. is 40 from MP 4.0 to 4.5

"Dutch" must be using an old timetable

by MNRR PA OPERATOR

nah thats going north bound through CP4 which is the movable bridge. I dont think the FRA would license mr Dutchrailnut if he didnt know what he is talking about.

by MNRR PA OPERATOR

book of rules says, milepost 4.0 to 4.5 is 40, then within the bridge it drops to 35 until CP4 ends. 5.0-5.5 is 40, and over the switches to the hudson line is 45.

by DutchRailnut

Penn Central is right, going thru there with my train stuff is usually so back logged I only go 30 mph as of last few months.
why did they drop the speed on this marvelous rebuilt viaduct ?? it was 60 mph for several years on 1 and 2 is there somehing were hidding ?
  by Head-end View

Dutch: You're saying it's 60 on the viaduct between the tunnel portal and 125th St? Was it maybe lower back in the 1990's? I rode it a few times back then and it seemed like we only went about 40 MPH on that stretch. It seemed noticably slow for a straight run. :(

by DutchRailnut

The old speed was 35 on both Park Avenue and Tunnel but that was before the tunnel project and Park avenue rebuilding and the cutting in of Cab sigbnals.

by Penn Central

DutchRailnut wrote:Penn Central is right, going thru there with my train stuff is usually so back logged I only go 30 mph as of last few months.
why did they drop the speed on this marvelous rebuilt viaduct ?? it was 60 mph for several years on 1 and 2 is there somehing were hidding ?
I never got a good answer for that. I got an explanation that they wanted to keep the speed the same on all 4 tracks, but that is inconsistent. As Dutch noted, the speeds are different on tracks 3 and 4 in the tunnel, so why would a similar change at 125 be a problem?