Railroad Forums 

• Maumee Industries

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#76599  by matt

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image. ... =11509&W=1

What about this facility on the north branch, west on 475 and Jerome Road? I believe this entire line from Jerome Road to Montpelier is now gone in favor of the north branch of the Wabash Cannonball Trail.

Is this correct and when would rail service likely have ended at this facility?

Thanks.

#76613  by railohio

The largest one in the first photo would be a Ford automotive plant, but I do not know what they manufacture there. I do seem to recall seeing hi-cube auto parts boxcars and gondolas around there.

#76718  by nycrick

In the 1st photo the smaller building to the right of the Ford Stamping plant, on Illinois Ave., is an 84 Lumber Yard & they still receive rail shipments. Where the spur makes a 180 to a facility on Ford St. I'm not what that is/was but I don't think they still have rail service.

In Photo 2 the buildings there now are a Frito-Lay's warehouse/distribution cntr. & a builders supply. When rail service was active I believe it was a propane dealer. The tracks were removed sometime in the '90s but I don't remember the exact date.

Yes, the entire route is the Wabash Cannonball trail. It's paved from Jerome Rd. to the Lucas-Fulton Co. line.
 #77986  by MSchwiebert

For what it's worth, the former Foodtown warehouse is going to have rail access again. A contractor has been working over the last month or so installing a new track next to the north side of the building. It is quite a bit below the grade of the existing NS tracks so the boxcar floor level will match the floor level of the warehouse. Doorways will have to be cut into the building for access, but since the wall in question is cinderblock, it shouldn't be too much work.

Michael Schwiebert