Railroad Forums 

• Maryland MARC/WMATA Congresscritter funding

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1575785  by STrRedWolf

Picking through what our senators have requested for funding... let me condense the list:
  • Baltimore Penn Station: $1M-$10M Create a multi-modal (bus/rail/light rail) area for the station.
  • MARC Dual-mode engines: $1M for up to 12 diesel/electric dual-mode engines to support MARC Penn Line operations
  • Odenton MARC parking garage: $1m for a 1,100 spot parking garage, as well as temporary parking during construction.
  • Bethesda WMATA Metrorail South Entrance: $2M to build the south entrance and integrate with the Purple Line.
 #1575911  by west point

Been too many years since visited Baltimore Penn station. Seem to recall some narrow steps to get to ticketing, Is the multi modal going to use the space next to the light rail stop. If so that lower level does not seem to be the ideal place to build it ?
 #1576064  by STrRedWolf

west point wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:12 am Been too many years since visited Baltimore Penn station. Seem to recall some narrow steps to get to ticketing, Is the multi modal going to use the space next to the light rail stop. If so that lower level does not seem to be the ideal place to build it ?
Ticketing for the Light Rail is under the large stairs next to Java Moon Cafe. "Narrow steps" would be the stairway next to the elevator.

Ticketing for MARC is by machines behind the Information desk or next to regular ticketing.

Ticketing office for Amtrak is your first right as you enter the station from the main entrance. There's also a ticket machine behind the Info desk. Do NOT confuse it for a MARC ticket machine, you can not get MARC tickets on Amtrak stock anymore.
 #1576139  by Sand Box John

Monies for 3 out of 4 of those projects will be to pay for parts of the projects that take place before the first shovel dirt ever get turned. The 4th will pay for a small part of the remaining costs of the south Bethesda Metrorail station entrance as the shaft and entrance passageway tunnel has mostly been excavated.
 #1576800  by TheOneKEA

Out of this entire list the Odenton garage is the project I would most like to see, especially since it would allow more people to park at BWI. I also hope that the entire garage is set up to allow for multi-day parking.
 #1576836  by STrRedWolf

TheOneKEA wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:30 pm Out of this entire list the Odenton garage is the project I would most like to see, especially since it would allow more people to park at BWI. I also hope that the entire garage is set up to allow for multi-day parking.
Put aside the pandemic for a minute (although it's a great opportunity to build it while the load is still low).

I can definitely see a garage between MD 175 and the retention pond/wooded area. Keep the bus loop and handicapped/kiss-and-ride. The only other place I can see it is 175 and Winmeyer Avenue (yanking the track).

I can see this being a first step towards 4 tracking here, with using the existing tunnel as the cross-over to get to a third (express) platform.

I can't see overnight parking unless it's by residents of the nearby condo. Odenton has been historically too busy for it, enough that they built housing around Odenton. (TBH I can also see another ticket machine there -- Commuter Direct has to double-staff during the turn of the month)