Railroad Forums 

• Market Frankford El Concourse?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1459655  by mcgrath618

Hello, I have a question for you all. This video was posted a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrGyPvdvb88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It shows a group of guys venturing through what appears to be an abandoned subway concourse, and the title of the video along with the description seem to denote it as being on the El.
While I'll respect his wishes (along with federal law) and won't ask anyone how to get down there, does anyone know anything more about this? Why would above-ground stations have underground concourses, especially when there are no nearby services to be transferred to? My friend and I checked out 40th and 34th for any signs of it having connected there at one point (like how at Race-Vine you can clearly see what used to be a concourse entrance), but came up with little to nothing...
Thanks in advance!
 #1459664  by glennk419

Is that possibly the abandoned connector between the 30th Street EL stop and 30th Street (Amtrak) Station?
 #1459670  by mcgrath618

glennk419 wrote:Is that possibly the abandoned connector between the 30th Street EL stop and 30th Street (Amtrak) Station?
I don't think so, isn't that currently being worked on?
 #1459675  by MACTRAXX

Glenn and McG:

After viewing the posted video I think that this IS the closed underpass connection between 30th
Street Station and the Market Street Subway (as the long removed directional signs titled it then)

The tip off is the length of the intact but damaged escalator - and I think that they also wandered
into the section that goes under the lower level tracks that may have been used back in the day
for mail, baggage and perhaps LCL freight. That was always closed off to the public.

Hard to believe that this connecting passageway has been closed now for 35 years and more...

Another video that was posted and linked was of the lower level tunnel at the BSL PAT&Tison
Station. In all my rides down there I have only been in that section once some years ago...

MACTRAXX
 #1459714  by JimBoylan

MACTRAXX wrote:I think that this IS the closed underpass connection between 30th Street Station and the Market Street Subway (as the long removed directional signs titled it then)
The tip off is the length of the intact but damaged escalator
I agree, stairs that start up from right next to the passage go to the Lower Level platforms in 30th St. train station. The escalator that goes all the way up goes to the Market St. Subway station mezzanine. The stair and 2 escalators that go up to the 30th St. side of the train station's Food Court are cut off at the Food Court floor level. They are in single file, so there is a corridor with bends to get to the bottoms of the middle and North ones.
- and I think that they also wandered into the section that goes under the lower level tracks that may have been used back in the day for mail, baggage and perhaps LCL freight. That was always closed off to the public.
There are 2 baggage tunnels, and I don't think they are in this video.