Railroad Forums 

• Marker lights on the front and rear of locomotives

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#726198  by CN Sparky

Since most of our yards are still equipped with the 3 class lights... many of the crews (especially those running beltpack) feel the need to put some combination of them on... a few of the units have the controls removed, or broken off... and many of the bulbs are burned out (and we don't bother replacing them...)... so they're not working as well as some of the crews may like them to..
 #726282  by litz

FYI,

If you want to see an example of the rules governing this type of thing, the GCOR rules (at least a year 2000 vintage copy) are available here : http://gsee.sdf-us.org/signals/docs/pdf ... 4-2000.pdf

The relevant rule is 5.10.

(our rule book says pretty much the same exact thing, except for us it's rule 15; I think ours are based on CSX)

- litz
 #726344  by Ken V

TB Diamond wrote:As was mentioned, there was some playing with the lights. During the Christmas, 1978 season persons unknown would turn on one green and one red classification light on locomotives standing in the locomotive service area. They would not, however, depart the area for duty in that mode.
Just last December I saw a VIA Rail passenger train in service travelling from Toronto to Montreal with the lead F40 having one red and one green light illuminated. I couldn't say whether the engineer was aware of this or not. However, once these F40's are rebuilt this will no longer be possible as the class/marker lights will be gone.
 #726741  by HoggerKen

litz wrote:FYI,

If you want to see an example of the rules governing this type of thing, the GCOR rules (at least a year 2000 vintage copy) are available here : http://gsee.sdf-us.org/signals/docs/pdf ... 4-2000.pdf

The relevant rule is 5.10.

(our rule book says pretty much the same exact thing, except for us it's rule 15; I think ours are based on CSX)

- litz
As well as GCOR 5.10.1; 5.10.2; and 5.9.4.
 #726784  by Cowford

Not that this is a direct relation to "heavy rail," but Chicago's CTA el trains sport (and use) four "class" lights per side (red, yellow, green, and white). These are used in differing combinations to denote the train's route, I presume. For example, purple line trains display two white lights. Makes it easy to determine if "your" train is approaching at night long before you see the signboard!
 #728750  by ex Budd man

Cowford wrote:Not that this is a direct relation to "heavy rail," but Chicago's CTA el trains sport (and use) four "class" lights per side (red, yellow, green, and white). These are used in differing combinations to denote the train's route, I presume. For example, purple line trains display two white lights. Makes it easy to determine if "your" train is approaching at night long before you see the signboard!
Ditto for Philly's Broad Street subway (orange line), there are five markers; white-local, green-express, yellow-Broad-Ridge spur, blue-special, red-tail marker. Reading MU cars, diesel and electric had four colors available; red, yellow, green, and white. PRR MUs had the little red "pin hole" markers, found on all PRR passenger equipment, later replaced by Septa with larger more visable 3" lenses.
 #734567  by NV290

litz wrote:Too add to this, you're supposed to have a red marker on the rear of a train
There is nothing that says red light specifically. A flashing yellow light is allowed as well on freight trains. A reflector or flag is OK by day.
litz wrote:... all railroads do this, including commuter rail in push/pull mode ...

Passenger trains have different rules. Passenger trains are supposed to have 2 red marker lights illuminated all the time. Not just when it's dark. That is why you will see locomotives used in passenger service still being equipped with red marker lights. A revenue passenger train cannot operate with a flag or marker lights off under normal circumstances. The exception to this rule is Amtrak's Auto train. Because the rear of the train is made up of auto racks, it will have a EOTD with a red light that flashes after dark.
litz wrote:but per some rulebooks, you can substitute a locomotive headlight on dim for a rear marker light if you have a locomotive on both ends of the train (or are doing a reverse move).
Yes, and this is primarily a rule for freight engines since they are no longer required to have marker lights.
 #737420  by poptheclutch

The lights as shown in the photo are "class lights" they have nothing to do with current red rear end markers. When I hired out for ATSF in 79, white (which was all of our trains) indicated an extra, not a scheduled frt train. Red was a pass train, green was a scheduled frt train. This was all connected with train orders & the superiority of trains. This was before the GCOR. After the old rules were phased out we would sometimes light the for red & green for christmas !