Railroad Forums 

• March 1930 Vienna, Illinois

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1417843  by Roger Hensley

Here is a photo, showing my Grandfather, W. C. Settlemoir as the agent/telegrapher at the Vienna, Illinois Big Four depot in 1945 (Vienna was about 17 miles south of Stonefort on the Cairo line). W. C. Settlemoir (Big Four seniority starting in 1906) became the agent at Vienna in 1919, as shown on the attached appointment form, and died after suffering a heart attack at the depot in 1946. After his death, my Father (H. C. Settlemoir) exercised seniority and was the agent at Vienna until the depot was closed in 1958. H. C. Settlemoir started with the Big Four on December 24, 1927 and retired from the Penn Central at Columbus, Ohio in 1975.
Captain Rex Settlemoir - U. S. Navy, retired

#1417915  by BR&P

Use the magnification tool and you can look at that photo for a long time discovering neat little details! Railroading was a whole different world back then!

Tell Capt. Settlemoir I said thank you for the photo and also thank you for your service! Image