Railroad Forums 

• MARC New Multilevels

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1361430  by ACeInTheHole

MCL1981 wrote:As in, to be placed in service or to be sent elsewhere for re-certification?
wouldnt be surprised if in service. they were sandwiched in a MARC deadhead consist, with one of their MP36s, and a single level on the other end, could be brake testing and then service by my estimate.
 #1361460  by MCL1981

Splenid. Maybe a well timed Christmas present for us Brunswick line riders? We shall see.

Is MARC implementing the automated next stop announcements (voice and signage)) as part of these fancy new cab cars?
 #1364127  by STrRedWolf

ACeInTheHole wrote:
MCL1981 wrote:As in, to be placed in service or to be sent elsewhere for re-certification?
wouldnt be surprised if in service. they were sandwiched in a MARC deadhead consist, with one of their MP36s, and a single level on the other end, could be brake testing and then service by my estimate.
From talking with the Penn line crew, they don't have the new bi-level cab cars yet, so you'll have a single level car on a MARC IV consist heading it.
 #1369685  by MCL1981

They're splendid. I ride them daily as the trains I take a all new ones except for the cab cars. They're very comfortable, well lit, not crammed, and the air conditioning is incredible. The only thing I would change is making the seat backs reclined back another inch or so. They seem just a little bit "too vertical" but nothing to complain about. We sat in the sun when it was 100 degrees for nearly 6 hours the day we hit a CSX dump truck at a grade crossing in Silver Spring last July. Even with the doors constantly being opened and closed by fire and police officers, the temperature never dropped. There was a cold wind the whole time. It actually started getting chilly after 5 hours.

Now if we can just get the new cab cars and dispose of those cattle cars.
 #1380695  by gregorygrice

MARC trainset featuring HHP-8 powering 3 kawasaki bi-levels & new MLV sandwiched in the middle was taken on a round trip between HAM & COUNTY interlockings in New Jersey for 125mph certification for the MARC MLVs this morning.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVpRgHQCOuA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1380845  by MCL1981

Weren't these coaches certified for 125mph years ago when they were first purchased?? What's the purpose of this now?
 #1380853  by gregorygrice

MCL1981 wrote:Weren't these coaches certified for 125mph years ago when they were first purchased?? What's the purpose of this now?
MARC's MLVs were only certified for 90mph
 #1380878  by MCL1981

Ah, of course. Hence they're only being used on Brunswick and Camden lines. I don't like this. I'm enjoying having all these nice new cars to myself, not being stolen by the Penn Line.

Speaking of... Damn it where are the cab cars!!!
 #1380908  by gregorygrice

MCL1981 wrote:Ah, of course. Hence they're only being used on Brunswick and Camden lines. I don't like this. I'm enjoying having all these nice new cars to myself, not being stolen by the Penn Line.

Speaking of... Damn it where are the cab cars!!!
For some reason MARC didn't get them with ACSES so they're not allowed to lead trains which explains their absence.
 #1380920  by MCL1981

Well, they don't need ACSES on the Brunkswick and Camden lines. But I thought it was being installed, which is what led to the delays.
 #1387499  by deandremouse

Did the ACSES System get installed and the brakes re-configured for MARC yet? What's going on with the cabs as of now if anyone has an update?