• MARC buys VRE Kawaski cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by rb8888

HokieNav wrote:More importantly, where the heck are the other 11 cars and why aren't they in service?
That's a good question. 7856 and 7858 are both on train 874/877 now (one at each end of the 6-car train, with 4 gallery cars in between). I haven't seen any others.
  by andrew.ars

The remaning cars are at the work area in martins baltimore county

the work area appears to be replacing wheels and windows because there are many extra new wheel assembiles and ex vre cars with out windows on the entry doors. getting replacment windows may be a problem? They all have new paint
  by realtype

HokieNav wrote:More importantly, where the heck are the other 11 cars and why aren't they in service?
I "contacted" the MTA about that today. Hopefully someone who actually knows about MARC responds...
  by realtype

Interesting to see VRE on the upper level of Union Station. The last time I saw any VRE equipment on the upper level was when they received their new gallery cars and put them on display. They used the never used low platform between tracks 11 and 12 (MARC and Amtrak use the high platforms on the other sides of 11 and 12).
  by Matt Johnson

When I took the Acela down to DC, I noticed several MARC Kawasakis sitting on a siding near Martin Airport. Perhaps that was them?
  by HokieNav

realtype wrote:
I "contacted" the MTA about that today. Hopefully someone who actually knows about MARC responds...
Don't forget "Meet the Managers" at WAS this afternoon, I plan on stopping by to ask this question (and a few others).
  by realtype

Matt Johnson wrote:
When I took the Acela down to DC, I noticed several MARC Kawasakis sitting on a siding near Martin Airport. Perhaps that was them?
Sure was. If they have "MARC" markings on them, then they should be ready.

I don't commute today so unfortunately I won't get a chance to talk to the MARC employees.(My luck is really bad these days)
  by realtype

Okay, finally got a reply from the MTA:
Two of the VRE cars are already in service on the Brunswick Line. The
remaining 10 cars should be in service by the end of June. The
locomotives run 100 mph and should be in revenue service within four to
six weeks. They are currently in the test phase. Thank you for
contacting MARC.
MARC/DJW

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:13 PM
To: MTA MARC Train
Subject: Question regarding MARC Train

Category: Question
Mode of Service: MARC Train

Nature of Question: Other,

Comments: Where are the cars MARC bought from Virginia Railway Express?

and

How fast can MARC's new locomotives go, and how much longer before they
are put in service? Thank you

So, the new locomotives can run 100mph, and the other 10 (I was under the impression MARC purchased 13 cars from VRE, they must have lost one) cars are to be put in service in June. Of course I won't be commuting on MARC after next week, probably still being the only person on the face of the Earth not to see one of the new MARC locomotives.
  by gp40marc69

I did talk to one of the MARC managers a couple weeks ago regarding the Kawasakis and he told me that they were undergoing high speed testing on the NEC since they've been mostly on CSX and NS track which limits up to 70. I thought the trucks on both MARCs and VREs Kawasakis were the same and they were both in the same specifications albeit some minor differences and would have been both rated for 125mph service.

As for the new locs, MARC 10 is sitting at Union Station and should be visible if coming in by any of the three lines.
  by HokieNav

7833 was at Union Station this morning in the middle of a 4 car consist of single level cars and a GP-40.

Unlike 7856 and 7858, the seats have been recovered in the dark blue cloth and leather headrest used in all the other MARC cars, replacing the light blue vinyl (?) that covered the VRE seats. They're still the same plastic backed, inward facing seats, just with the MARC - specific covering.

Also of note, there was a stuck on number "90" next to the leading door on the right hand side of the car - the numbers look like the individual number stickers (black on a white background) that you would buy at the hardware store to put your house number on a mailbox. Not sure what the significance of that is.
  by realtype

HokieNav wrote:7833 was at Union Station this morning in the middle of a 4 car consist of single level cars and a GP-40.

Unlike 7856 and 7858, the seats have been recovered in the dark blue cloth and leather headrest used in all the other MARC cars, replacing the light blue vinyl (?) that covered the VRE seats. They're still the same plastic backed, inward facing seats, just with the MARC - specific covering.

Also of note, there was a stuck on number "90" next to the leading door on the right hand side of the car - the numbers look like the individual number stickers (black on a white background) that you would buy at the hardware store to put your house number on a mailbox. Not sure what the significance of that is.
Thanks for the heads up. Really interesting that they replaced the seat upholstery in this car. The two times I rode in 7856/7858 I did notice that the seats were a little worn, and dirty however. Oh and those MARC headrests aren't leather (if only :-D ) they're vinyl as well.
  by HokieNav

realtype wrote:
HokieNav wrote:7833 was at Union Station this morning in the middle of a 4 car consist of single level cars and a GP-40.

Thanks for the heads up. Really interesting that they replaced the seat upholstery in this car. The two times I rode in 7856/7858 I did notice that the seats were a little worn, and dirty however. Oh and those MARC headrests aren't leather (if only :-D ) they're vinyl as well.
Wow, that's some dang fine vinyl!

Also, single level car 7718 is back on the property from rehabbing, it looks like a brand new car - new paint, fresh interior, bright lights, etc. Very nice to get some very nice looking equipment.
  by HokieNav

Add 7831 and 7855 to the list, it looks like these are finally starting to roll out in greater numbers. They were in consist with the previously mentioned 7833, 2 gallery cars and a single level cab car this morning at WAS.

All 3 new cars have the "90" sticker and a fire department-type symbol near the door (just at one end):

Now if the MTA could get their crap together and get the MP-36's in service!
  by realtype

Nice catch Hokie. It looks like MARC is directly replacing the gallery cars on the 874/877 consist (the longest one on the Br. line), and probably soon the 876/875 consist (the only other gallery consist). I wonder what happened to 7856 and 7858? It seems that MARC might be restricting the ex-VRE cars to the Brunswick line.