• MARC buys VRE Kawaski cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Silverliner II

Question: Anybody know offhand the fleet numbers for the MARC Kawasakis? I can't remember if the cabs run 7845-7854 or 7855...

Trailers were 7800-783? and restroom trailers in the 7890's?
  by HokieNav

They're listed here:

http://www.kawasakirailcar.com/mta.htm

The two "new" cab cars are 7856 and 7858 (I would assume that 7857 is still in the shop, does anyone know how many cab cars VRE had?).

The original cab cars are 7845-7855
Trailers are 7800-7825
Trailers w/ Restrooms are 7890-7896
"Snack cars" (not actually used as such) are 7870-7876

Edit to answer my own question, VRE had 4 cab cars and 9 trailers, so I would expect to see cab cars run 7845-7859 when they're all done and the 9 trailers to be 7826-7835 (or perhaps 7830-7839 if they want to break them out into their own set?).
  by realtype

Unbelievably, one of the cabs (7858) is already damaged :P by debris from the wind storm yesterday (the same day I first rode on it), according to an MTA email. The 874/877 trainset now only has 5 cars, and I saw 7858 in Ivy City this morning.
  by Silverliner II

Thanks for the numbers and link!
  by HokieNav

realtype wrote:Unbelievably, one of the cabs (7858) is already damaged :P by debris from the wind storm yesterday (the same day I first rode on it), according to an MTA email. The 874/877 trainset now only has 5 cars, and I saw 7858 in Ivy City this morning.
Yeah, yesterday morning there was an email that 874 hit a tree(!), wonder how badly it got munged up. Also saw a couple single levels got grafatti'd up yesterday too. :(
  by davinp

On Friday the 13th, the wind knocked down trees on the track near Rolling Road causing VRE Manassas Train #325 to be 12 minutes late
  by realtype

HokieNav wrote:
realtype wrote:Unbelievably, one of the cabs (7858) is already damaged :P by debris from the wind storm yesterday (the same day I first rode on it), according to an MTA email. The 874/877 trainset now only has 5 cars, and I saw 7858 in Ivy City this morning.
Yeah, yesterday morning there was an email that 874 hit a tree(!), wonder how badly it got munged up. Also saw a couple single levels got grafatti'd up yesterday too. :(
The damage couldn't have been too bad because I rode on it the same morning when 874 arrived late to my station, because of the strike.

This morning I saw a single level badly grafiti'd up, and my Frederick train for for the past week or so had a bilevel Quiet car which was also badly grafiti'd near the door. The 'artists' must have a lot of time on their hands these days, or found a way to break into one of the 4 o/n yards.
  by realtype

Was early this morning and rode on the "Martinsburg Express"-the train with the 4 gallery cars and 2 VRE cabs. I snapped these photos of the interior as we were getting off. The only thing MARC changed are the safety instructions, which are in side pockets like the gallery cars. One thing I noticed is that there's less legroom (because the seats are thicker and the backs aren't recessed) compared to MARC's originial Kawasakis. I'm also pretty sure the electric trapdoor function is removed or aren't being used.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7367453@N0 ... 4/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7367453@N0 ... 8/sizes/o/
  by HokieNav

Thanks!

Those seats don't look as comfortable as the rest - true?
  by rb8888

HokieNav wrote:Thanks!

You're correct, they're not as comfortable. However, since there are more seats in these cars than in the "original" double-decker cars (because of less legroom between the rows of seats), there's more likelihood that you won't have someone sitting next to you (from my experience so far). That's a big plus, in my opinion. And they are certainly better than the awful gallery cars.
  by davinp

I see that MARC put something on the wall under the window.

Since the cars are about 10 years old, the seats are worn a little and so not as comfortable as they were when they were brand new

Did MARC do anything to the warned armrests and torn ticket holders on the back of the seats?
  by realtype

davinp wrote:I see that MARC put something on the wall under the window.

Since the cars are about 10 years old, the seats are worn a little and so not as comfortable as they were when they were brand new

Did MARC do anything to the warned armrests and torn ticket holders on the back of the seats?
rb8888 wrote:
HokieNav wrote:Thanks!

You're correct, they're not as comfortable. However, since there are more seats in these cars than in the "original" double-decker cars (because of less legroom between the rows of seats), there's more likelihood that you won't have someone sitting next to you (from my experience so far). That's a big plus, in my opinion. And they are certainly better than the awful gallery cars.
The pocket under the windows holds the safety instructions, which are in "soft" pockets in MARC's original bilevels and single level cars, but since the back of the seats in the VRE cars are hard plastic they put them under the window instead (they did the same for the ancient gallery cars). I should have looked at the instructions to check the numbering of the car series, and the name ("MARC III", "MARC Gallery" etc.).

Nothing in the interior seems too worn at all actually, only the seats are slightly discolored due to use, but they are actually pretty comfortable, but not as much as the original Kawasakis. They definitely are a far cry from the gallery cars (that make up 4 of the 6 cars on Martinsburg train 874/877 which uses 7856 and 7858), but they are more comfortable than the single levels and have the 2-2 seating. The interior really reminds me of LIRR's Kawasaki bilevels and M7 EMU's.

I've noticed another small difference between the MARC and VRE bilevels. The red light markers on the VRE cars aren't LED's like the MARC Kawasakis, but are single conventional lightbulbs. Interesting, since the VRE cars are supposed to be slightly newer.
  by realtype

davinp wrote:At the National Train Day on Friday someone took pictures of a Kawasaki car that appears to be an ex-VRE car. This is car #7856
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevharb/35 ... otostream/
Yeah, 7856 and 7858 (both cab cars) have been in service since January. I wonder why MARC put an ex-VRE car on display. The original MARC bilevels cars (one of which was on display at Union Station's 100th anniversary) look nicer inside, especially with the new seats. Granted, the VRE cars are slightly newer.
  by HokieNav

More importantly, where the heck are the other 11 cars and why aren't they in service?