• MARC buys VRE Kawaski cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

HokieNav wrote:While I agree that the seats are less comfortable than the ones originally bought, they're still light years better than sitting 3 wide in a single level, or standing because there aren't enough seats.

People will find anything they can to complain about.

Edit to add: I think that if people were observant enough to realize that there are more seats per car and that these cars (and the return of the AEM-7's) are allowing there to be more cars per train, then they may complain a little less.
Exactly. They're also far, far better than the MARC gallery cars. The legroom thing is a significant bother for me since I'm tall, but if the adjacent seat is empty it's not a problem at all, and people of my height probably only make up 10% of the ridership at most.

Sitting 3 wide on the single levels does suck especially if you're in the middle or on the aisle. The third "jump seat" (on practically all single level cars used in this country) was made less comfortable specifically so it would encourage passengers to sit in the middle seat instead, but they obviously underestimated the high value of personal space in this country. Apparently NJT, and MNRR/LIRR gave up on this idea since their new single levels (the M7/M8 EMU's and Comet V's) have normal sized 3rd seats.
  by Silverliner II

realtype wrote:Sitting 3 wide on the single levels does suck especially if you're in the middle or on the aisle. The third "jump seat" (on practically all single level cars used in this country) was made less comfortable specifically so it would encourage passengers to sit in the middle seat instead, but they obviously underestimated the high value of personal space in this country. Apparently NJT, and MNRR/LIRR gave up on this idea since their new single levels (the M7/M8 EMU's and Comet V's) have normal sized 3rd seats.
The 3rd seat was made with a lower back for cosmetic reasons as well: it was to give the coach an 'appearance' of being roomier, instead of all seats of that design being the same height making the car appear more claustrophobic when navigating the aisles.
  by realtype

Silverliner II wrote:The 3rd seat was made with a lower back for cosmetic reasons as well: it was to give the coach an 'appearance' of being roomier, instead of all seats of that design being the same height making the car appear more claustrophobic when navigating the aisles.
Interesting, its the first I've heard this. Anyway, I'll take the loss of the roomy atmosphere any day to be able to actually lean back and sleep in that seat.

In light of the complaint he received Mike Dresser decided to check the new seats out for himself [why can't the WaPo have someone like this guy? Dr. Gridlock doesn't cut it]:
Not a bad seat in the house
In response to complaints from some Penn Line passengers about the seats in the double-decker cars that MARC acquired from Virginia, I took a train to Washington to ride in them.

After giving one of the seats a rump test between Union Station and Penn Station, I have to confess it didn't seem so bad to 5-foot-11 me. They're not as comfy as the older MARC car seats, which are great, but they're just not that bad. Certainly they don't approach the discomfort of an airline flight in coach or the light rail.

The new seats are easily preferable to standing, which many more riders would be doing if MARC had put the cars into the shop for an expensive retrofitting.

The agency made the right call.
I fully agree. Despite my height I slightly prefer them to the single levels, and the benefits they bring far, far outweigh the leg room issue. If we had replaced 13 of the original MARC cars that would have been a whole different story, but I think that lady needs to lighten up. If she rode a SEPTA Silverliner or on of MARC's old gallery cars, I guarantee she wouldn't complain about MARC seats again.

Image vs Image (before the MARC seatcovers)
  by Silverliner II

realtype wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:The 3rd seat was made with a lower back for cosmetic reasons as well: it was to give the coach an 'appearance' of being roomier, instead of all seats of that design being the same height making the car appear more claustrophobic when navigating the aisles.
Interesting, its the first I've heard this. Anyway, I'll take the loss of the roomy atmosphere any day to be able to actually lean back and sleep in that seat.
I actually got that off the promo materials Bombardier put out when SEPTA first put their push-pull fleet into service. Given that similar seat designs existed on the MU fleets of Metro-North and LIRR at the time as well as MBTA, Metro-North, some NJT Bombers, and the MARC Sumitomo fleet, I guess that was a pretty popular seat design.

But I'll take almost anybody's seats over a Silverliner seat any day.... :-D