• Marc bilevel speed increase

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by BuddSilverliner269

Hello everyone, effective today per a supplemental bulletin order, Marcs series 7800 series cars will be allowed to run 125 between Washington and Philly and all other Amtrak routes allowed 90. Cars numbers in question are 7800-7834 7845-7858 7870-7876. Hope everyone enjoys the good news????
  by HokieNav

Thanks! Those numbers encompass the cars bought from VRE, of which I saw about 7 or 8 in two different Penn Line consists this morning.
  by strench707

I am assuming this bulletin is void if the cars are running in the same set as the single levels. Maybe, maybe not?

Davis
  by DutchRailnut

Any speed, of any train, is always governed by slowest piece of equipment in consist.
  by strench707

Ah, okay thanks. That's what I figured but I wanted to make sure.

Davis
  by dt_rt40

Good news! Thanks for the update. I'll have to bring my GPS with me at some point soon to check. It's very tricky to get a signal though, at least with my unit which has been a bit of a disappointment. The NB 534 is usually hauling ass until Odenton, where it always slows down for some reason. It still makes it to BWI in 25 minutes, which is pretty good time.
  by realtype

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Hello everyone, effective today per a supplemental bulletin order, Marcs series 7800 series cars will be allowed to run 125 between Washington and Philly and all other Amtrak routes allowed 90. Cars numbers in question are 7800-7834 7845-7858 7870-7876. Hope everyone enjoys the good news????
Thanks, this is great news! I think Hokie gave a heads up to this a few weeks back. I've heard a rumor a while back that the MARC AEM-7's were not rated to 125mph. Does anyone know if this is true (even after they've been rebuilt)?
strench707 wrote:I am assuming this bulletin is void if the cars are running in the same set as the single levels. Maybe, maybe not?

Davis
Yeah, the single levels are only good to 110mph, but since MARC has all their electrics back in service (the other 2 AEM-7's are scheduled to enter service by the end of the year) and 13 new bilvels, it won't be that much of a problem. Single level cars on rush hour Penn Line trains are becoming rarer and rarer. Unfortunately they're also becoming rarer and rarer on the Camden and Brunswick Line to. My usual evening train to Frederick (4 cars long) usually had at least single bilevel, but usually 2 or 3. Now it's only had a bilevel once for more than a month.

My cellphone has a GPS though and it seems the rules aren't as strict as I thought it would be. I've measured trains going 3-6 miles an hour over the limit on the Brunswick and Penn Lines. Interestingly enough the one time I measured it on the Camden Line the engineer wouldn't go a single mph over 70 (College Park-DC) :-) .
  by train2

So what is the max speed on the HHP-8s and also the AEM7s.

Anyone got any photos of the VRE cars IN service on Marc? How are the lettered and painted?
  by realtype

train2 wrote:So what is the max speed on the HHP-8s and also the AEM7s.

Anyone got any photos of the VRE cars IN service on Marc? How are the lettered and painted?
The HHP-8's have a max speed of 135mph (I think), but can effectively run at only 125mph due to equipment, FRA, and track speed limitations, and the AEM-7's are supposed to have a max speed of 125mph.

The VRE car numbers are 7826-7834 (coaches) and 7855-7858 (cab cars). The VRE cars are virtually identical to the existing MARC cars on the outisde. The most obvious difference is the lack of the "Mass Transit Administration" on each side (since the MTA changed their name to the "Maryland Transit Administration and that probably wouldn't fit). The cab cars also retained their conventional ditch lights, unlike the original MARC cars which have gyralights. Also, if you look very closely you'll notice that the paint isn't reflective like on the original cars. Everything else is the same though.

Some photos I took last spring and winter:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7367453@N08/3214352354/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7367453@N08/3351688738/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7367453@N08/3351688754/

The seat coverings on these cars were changed to match the ones on MARC's cars (including the embedded MARC logo in the headrests) and those photos show what they looked like before that. I think HokieNav posted some newer photos in the thread pertaining to the ex-VRE cars.
  by HokieNav

Yep, I posted some pictures here:
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 90#p692938

Rode in one for the first time this week, and they're definitely less comfortable than the original K-cars. Not as much legroom and no armrests. Makes sense, since they sit 140 as opposed to 135 in the originals.
  by realtype

HokieNav wrote:Not as much legroom...
That was definitely the biggest problem for me. I'm 6'2", so my knees were constantly mashed into the plastic back of the seat in front. Also, the seats on the "middle level" don't have high backs. The armrest thing wasn't too bad, since MARC's single level cars don't have center armrests either, but are on the outside like the VRE K-cars, so I'm used to that. The new VRE gallery cars are the exact opposite--they have a single center armrest with none on the outside--so if you're not careful you can fall out of the aisle seat lol.