Railroad Forums 

• Maintenance Activity Wyckoff

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#439030  by RichM

I cross the NYS&W at the Franklin Avenue crossing frequently. After the CWR was installed, the ballast seemed to settle in an irregular fashion... well, if we look back over the past yaer or two, the explanations have always been it's a regional, cash was tight, Mr. Rich's health was uncertain, etc... but it at the end of the day, it still seemed a waste of the expense of the rails if the bed was shifting, wear marks are already showing on them.

Anyway, this morning I noticed maintenance equipment on the siding north of Franklin Avenue, appeared to be a ballast regulator / spreader but I couldn't tell from the distance.

So it appears that, along with comments on the earlier threads, there is still re-investment taking place, at least on the southern division.

I guess it brings up another question, might be a bit too out in the weeds... I was actually surprised that with all of CSX's problems and their maintenance activities in the NY area that a contractor and equipment might be available for this work. Anyone have any idea how many companies actually do this, what the utilization of the equipment is, and whether Plasser's US sales are booming?
Last edited by RichM on Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

#439035  by cjvrr

Rich,

It sounds like normal maintenance to me. "Soft Spots" can occur anyplace on the line at any time, that is why any railroad must perform regular inspections.

Additionally most RR, even the NYS&W have their own equipment to perform this spot routine maintenance. Recently a switch and some track were installed in Cortland, NY, it was done by NYS&W track crews.

However large projects, such as massive tie replacements and changing out long lengths of rail can be done by a contractor. NYS&W has used Railroad Construction and RJ Corman in the past, there are other firms too. The big railroads, like CSX, UP, etc. may do it on their own, or hire it out. Guess it depends upon the time frame, cost, availability and a host of other factors.

#439043  by RichM

Yes, I'm with you, Chris.

I knew the gondolas with tie plates and ties were positioned at that siding by the contractor prior to the rail installation... and I'm assuming that NYS&W doesn't own their own ballasting equipment. Again I'm assuming that its utilization of that specialized equipment has got to be greater than 30-35% per year for ownership to make sense. (And I'm sure you remember the prior condition of the roadbed in general between that replaced with the 287 construction and Paterson!)

I guess I'm also thinking perhaps this has been scheduled for some time, but a major emergency requirement someplace else might have taken priority.

It's a half-full, half-empty glass. I'm happy to see that the work is being done, but if the contractor equipment is available, that's more CSX work not being done!