Railroad Forums 

• Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBSR)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#937727  by BAR

I came through Oakfield on Sunday May 29 and there were noticibly fewer freight cars there than I have observed on past trips. In the portion of the yard north of I-95 there was a single cut of cars occupying one track and all the other tracks were empty. FYI the staff at the museum told me that a southbound train had gone through earlier in the afternoon.
 #941502  by MEC407

NBSR has released a GP38-3 in Maine Northern Railway livery: http://www.traingeek.ca/gallery2/v/nbsr ... 1.jpg.html

And this MaineBiz article/interview is full of interesting information about the new operation: http://www.mainebiz.biz/news48001.html
 #942873  by MEC407

Article in New Brunswick Business Journal:
New Brunswick Business Journal wrote:Irving Transportation Services rolled out a new railway this week, with high hopes of putting a near-defunct freight route back on track.

On Wednesday, Maine Northern Railway was officially launched, running across 375 kilometres of track in northern Maine. It is the third railway company for Irving Transportation Services, which also runs NB Southern and Eastern Maine Railways.
Read more at: http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast.com ... le/1416345
 #943286  by S1f3432

J.M.Huber operates an OSB mill in Easton. The former Pinkham Lumber Co. mill now owned
by Irving has been closed for a couple of years. I thought there was another large saw mill in the
area but the only reference i can find is for Maine Woods Co. LLC in Portage which is not
familiar to me- may be a buyout or reorganization of another company. Also wood fired power
plants in Fort Fairfield and I think Squa Pan.
 #945802  by BAR

If anyone can provide information on the operation of the Maine Northern since the takeover it would be greatly appreciated if it were posted. Trains, frequency, employees hired from the MM&A, etc? Thanks.

BAR
Williamsburg, VA
 #948614  by rick4323

July 4, 2011

Just to update some of the people interested in the Northern Maine Railway,, most but not all mma employees were hired back. NBSR will be putting alot of money along with the feds ($10 MILLION GRANT) to upgrade the track. They will be hiring additional people in the future for track repair. I think they will be good for the area. Railroad Headquaters will be at Oakfield . They have 3 engines so far from NBSR all GP 38s. Let me know if I can answer any more questions. Will take some pictures soon and post them.
 #949163  by ShortlinesUSA

Rick,

Thank you for the update, and look forward to seeing your pictures. Any general observations of operating times/patterns on the Northern Maine Railway would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Derrick
rick4323 wrote:July 4, 2011

Just to update some of the people interested in the Northern Maine Railway,, most but not all mma employees were hired back. NBSR will be putting alot of money along with the feds ($10 MILLION GRANT) to upgrade the track. They will be hiring additional people in the future for track repair. I think they will be good for the area. Railroad Headquaters will be at Oakfield . They have 3 engines so far from NBSR all GP 38s. Let me know if I can answer any more questions. Will take some pictures soon and post them.
 #949178  by jjoyce1

MECFAN wrote:Rick,

Whats left up there for buildings at Oakfield Yard. Haven't been up there in ten years, some photos of the old yard would be cool if your up that way.

John
Last summer, July 2010, all that was left in Oakfield was the new-ish yard office building. The yard is still there, MMA was using it mainly for car storage. I assume it's emptied out somewhat now since the MMA has gotten rid of some of its rolling stock (SLC 40500s and 40600s for example) and the MNR operates it now anyway.

JAJ