Railroad Forums 

• Maine MEDOT proposed RDC service brunswick-rockland

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1621815  by JBlaisdell

electricron wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:52 am
JBlaisdell wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:03 pm
electricron wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:53 am Postive Train Control systems will be required on tracks with new regularly scheduled passenger service, intercity or commuter, which this service meets. Squeezing in PTC equipment on these trains will require some modifications to the RDCs, which I assume AllEarthRail has already performed making them available for service.
It was mentioned elsewhere in these forums that PTC is not needed due to traffic density on the line.
That was probably posted by me before the final set of regulations posted in 2021. The section of the regulations in question.
49 CFR § 236.1019 - Main line track exceptions.
(c) Limited operations exception. FRA will consider an exception in the case of a track segment used for limited operations (operating in accordance with § 236.0 of this part) under one of the following sets of conditions:
(1) The trackage is used for limited operations by at least one passenger railroad subject to at least one of the following conditions:
(ii) Temporal separation of passenger and other trains is maintained as provided in paragraph (e) of this section; or

(2) Passenger service is operated on a segment of track of a freight railroad that is not a Class I railroad on which less than 15 million gross tons of freight traffic is transported annually and on which one of the following conditions applies:
(i) If the segment is unsignaled and no more than four regularly scheduled passenger trains are operated during a calendar day, or
Why would they have to run at restricted speed? There are 2 cases where they would be exempt. 1 (ii) and 2 (i) .
Last edited by nomis on Wed May 10, 2023 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: quote trimmed
 #1621844  by chrisf

Section ©1 states "The trackage is used for limited operations by at least one passenger railroad subject to at least one of the following conditions:" (emphasis mine.) There is no requirement to meet every condition to avoid having to run at restricted speed.
 #1621848  by nomis

The biggest issue for PTC requirements is the Brunswixk station area. East of there, with 4 trips (2 RT's) a day would be covered for an exemption.
 #1621851  by marco

This new connection attracts interest from several states away, and will increase the value of each of the stops.

Living in New Jersey, I would like to ride this historic equipment, and take a ride on the Downeaster. I've been considering this trip for some time, when the Maine Eastern was running, then declined when the passenger server ended.

So, from NYP->BBY-BON-BRK, roughly 7 hours on the train, with a small transfer time. So, my earliest arrival in Brunswick is 3:10, the second Downeaster of the day. First one arrives 12:10. If the service starts with two round trips daily, surely, they would depart earlier than 12:10. This means to ride to Rockland, I need TWO overnight stays in Brunswick, making the trip to Rockland a single day round trip.

Two nights in Brunswick, one needs to eat, drink & make merry.

Now, it's my guesstimation that this service will sell out quickly, does anyone know where we will be able to get tickets?
 #1621870  by MattW

nomis wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:58 am The biggest issue for PTC requirements is the Brunswixk station area. East of there, with 4 trips (2 RT's) a day would be covered for an exemption.
Brunswick might be considered a terminal area where it's not required, or the short length where trains overlap could be run at Restricted speed.
 #1621874  by marco

I sent an email inquiry to Janice Mcneal, VP Marketing & Sales, asking "When can we buy tickets?", and she referred me to Deb Fox, Manager of Passengers & Special projects, and here is Deb's reply:
>SNIP<
We are still working on a schedule for Maine, moving the equipment, etc. The equipment is scheduled to be moved to Maine in time for an event in Bath the July 4th weekend.

This will be a static display, no rides at that time, however we hope to have this very soon.

Please feel free to stay in touch as we get closer to mid July.

Thanks for your interest. Deb
>SNIP<
https://fingerlakesrail.com/contactUs.html
 #1621876  by Emmett

thank you for the info on that last post! so i guess mid july is the startup for passenger service? I will be out there all the time trying to get as many videos of the historic equipment.
 #1621877  by marco

Wanted to suggest a RAILROAD.NET meetup in Maine, would be great PR for the website . . . You've seen "Ride With Me Henry" on facebook... he organizes railfan outings from Southern NY.
 #1621879  by Emmett

yeah that would be cool. But what station would it be @. For my convenience I will mostly be going to Rockland station (which currently is a bar/restaurant) to railfan. so actually a question from me. is the "rockland station" restaurant, which is next to the trackage the place the service terminated and restarts at or they building another station? The the trackage is right next to the restaurant.
 #1621880  by marco

Makes the most sense to me to be in Rockland, I have wanted to go for Lobster Fest for many years, and while Amtrak offers bus service, it seemed a letdown from taking Acela to Boston, then the Downeaster. I wanted to participate in the network extension, and show support for their efforts.

( https://mainelobsterfestival.com/ 2 August - 6 August )

This must be the place . . . https://tracksideme.com/ It has my vote.
 #1621884  by Emmett

yep. that's the restaurant. I'm pretty sure that's where the service will terminate. which would be cool, imagine getting off historic RDC's and eating some good maine food. I will certainly be out there railfanning a lot.