Railroad Forums 

• Mahanoy Tunnel

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#459521  by Andyt293

Great pictures. What is the corrugated steel structure to the right of the locomotive in the first picture?

#460042  by Trails to Rails

Great pix of one of my favorite parts of the world; Barnesville, PA!

Makes me want to head on up for a beer at Kineski's and then make a run to Kowalonek's in Chendo!

#462634  by Andyt293

Is Chendo anywhere near Maw Noy?

Seriously MT great pictures. Any idea when the fans were taken out of operation?

#462873  by JimBoylan

Andyt293 wrote:Any idea when the fans were taken out of operation?
I visited about 1976, heard the fans were controlled remotely from a tower somewhere, but found a small unlocked box on the side of one of the buildings with 2 push buttons in it. To my fright, one of them started the fan in that building! I quickly pressed the other button, I hoped before the distant towerman might notice.

#462889  by RussNelson

Railfans controlled remotely from a tower?? Is this a model railroad? Or are these some kind of Stepford Wives railfans? Or are they like decoy railfans, designed to attract the real railfans into the kill zone?

I'm SOOOOOOO confused!
 #835561  by carajul

What were the fans used for? To blow smoke out when there were steam engines?

I think the tunnel has these fans on both sides. Where the tunnel exits under Rt 54 the RDG had a branch line that went to Hacks at the CNJ yard. The row is very dicernable to this day. It actually crossed Rt 54 at grade just a few hundred feet before connecting to the RDG main just before the tunnel opening. This line allowed the RDG to bring interchange cars from Haucks directly to Mohonoy City without having to backtrack to East Mohonoy Jct. I think CR tore it out in the 70s.