Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1477029  by Ridgefielder

geico wrote:Why do I see this biting MNRR in the butt in a few years....
My understanding is that, for capacity reasons, MNRR wants to go to bi-levels. My understanding is also that, because of the clearances in the Park Ave Tunnel, bi-level MU's aren't going to work. There wouldn't be enough room underfloor or on the roof for the mechanicals. Next-gen MNRR equipment is likely to be loco-hauled coaches. Meaning MNRR is going to be in the market for electric motors at some point.
 #1477087  by Backshophoss

Most likely MN is thinking of the NJT MLV-II design as the next loco hauled Coach/Cab Car,to be shared with LIRR as their C-5 coach/cab car
and with ConnDOT as the next gen Shoreliner design.
Since MN opted out of the M-9,Figure on the MN/ConnDOT M-10 design and the M-11 design next up after the loco hauled coach replacement
is online.
 #1477232  by Zuccaraillo

Backshophoss wrote:Most likely MN is thinking of the NJT MLV-II design as the next loco hauled Coach/Cab Car,to be shared with LIRR as their C-5 coach/cab car
and with ConnDOT as the next gen Shoreliner design.
Since MN opted out of the M-9,Figure on the MN/ConnDOT M-10 design and the M-11 design next up after the loco hauled coach replacement
is online.
Very likely; their success with NJT has led to MARC and AMT(exi) to buying them. I am unsure if the existing P32 and DE30/DM30 locos will be able to handle the HEP load required by the Bombardier MLs.
 #1477233  by DutchRailnut

The DE/DM handles bi-levels now 6 per engine.
The Genesis has a 1 mw HEP inverter which is currently max capacity of the HEP systems in USA and good for about 12 cars including superliners.
 #1477321  by DutchRailnut

ok mn , not lirr. were getting of beaten path.