Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1559060  by RRspatch

There is a report on Facebook (Amtrak Northeast Corridor Railfans group) of M8's testing east of New Haven. The report includes a short video of a set of M8's departing Old Saybrook station. Testing has begun.
 #1559118  by Traingeek3629

RRspatch wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:16 am There is a report on Facebook (Amtrak Northeast Corridor Railfans group) of M8's testing east of New Haven. The report includes a short video of a set of M8's departing Old Saybrook station. Testing has begun.
Could you share that video? I am not currently in that group.
 #1559169  by ST Saint

Traingeek3629 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:09 pm
RRspatch wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:16 am There is a report on Facebook (Amtrak Northeast Corridor Railfans group) of M8's testing east of New Haven. The report includes a short video of a set of M8's departing Old Saybrook station. Testing has begun.
Could you share that video? I am not currently in that group.
I couldn't find a way to pull video from the private group (at least not with effort), but here are a few screen grabs. Not too much to see other than hearing a very flat spot on one of the wheels. It continued on to New London then returned in the second image.

#1559203  by RRspatch

ST Saint wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:19 pm
I couldn't find a way to pull video from the private group (at least not with effort), but here are a few screen grabs. Not too much to see other than hearing a very flat spot on one of the wheels. It continued on to New London then returned in the second image.

Thanks for the screen shots. I couldn't copy the video either since it's a private group.
 #1559220  by daybeers

How exciting! Thanks for the screenshots ST Saint.
 #1559249  by Traingeek3629

Awesome! Do you know if they're testing nightly and what time they leave New Haven? I'd love to catch it.
 #1559397  by JcPinCT

The video was definitely taken last week. The screen shot of the date/time stamp is Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.
 #1559410  by Traingeek3629

kitn1mcc wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:51 pm that was last year
I can disprove this theory because of several reasons:

1) The signs showing date/time did not exist at Old Saybrook last year. We only had traditional "yellow line" signs until sometime this fall.
2) Last year, there was regular SLE service with trains using the 16XX headcode rather than the 36XX headcode. Therefore, the last train on a weekday night would be 1699, not 3699.
3) Last year, December 16 was on a Monday, not a Wednesday.
 #1559538  by Traingeek3629

NH2060 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:50 pm From YouTuber “TrainFilms”:

Video taken at Westbrook and Old Saybrook at night:

If I could get a pinpoint on exactly when they leave New Haven, I would almost certainly take a joyride down to my station and catch the M8s in action.