Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Terminal Proceed

I disagree - because not all the bomb trains on the hudson go all the way to POK. You say there is no need for an announcement to ever say that this is the train to POK. Well I have news for you. They do run Bomb sets to Harmon only making express stops along the way. AND they also run express trains to Beacon and other points without goin all the way to POK.

Thats is why on the Bomb trains the announcements must contain the fact that the train IS or IS NOT going to POK.
  by Head-end View

Let's remember that not all passengers are regulars or rail buffs. Some of them may not know one kind of train from another. And wouldn't know which kind of train goes where. So the announcements are for those people who don't know the railroad like we might know it. :wink:
  by Silverliner II

Terminal Proceed wrote:I disagree - because not all the bomb trains on the hudson go all the way to POK. You say there is no need for an announcement to ever say that this is the train to POK. Well I have news for you. They do run Bomb sets to Harmon only making express stops along the way. AND they also run express trains to Beacon and other points without goin all the way to POK. Thats is why on the Bomb trains the announcements must contain the fact that the train IS or IS NOT going to POK.
Of course, a human is making those announcements, and in some ways, it's not as nerve-grating as an automatic system sometimes...

I forgot about the limiteds and the Becon short-trippers (aren't there a few that terminate in Peekskill?) But in any event, I see I did make my point, albeit in a slightly incorrect illogical way, LOL!
Head-end View wrote:Let's remember that not all passengers are regulars or rail buffs. Some of them may not know one kind of train from another. And wouldn't know which kind of train goes where. So the announcements are for those people who don't know the railroad like we might know it. :wink:
Another good point made there too. I do sometimes lose the "ordinary passenger" perspective, being a rail buff and employee... :wink: