Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by mncommuter

And on a related note to the discussion of the colored lights above, what is this light on the ACMU for?

by DutchRailnut

its normaly on on lead car only it indictes that the Cabsignal is in forward mode (cut in) same on nose of older FL-9's and on M1/M3 there is white light at operating cab thats in use.
  by N340SG

Bathroom modifications:

correct defective flush valves
correct defective tank water level sensors
correct kinked flexible piping

Still trying to find out why 4001/4002 were sent to LIRR. Can't get a straight answer.
  by IslesFan

N340SG wrote:Bathroom modifications:

correct defective flush valves
correct defective tank water level sensors
correct kinked flexible piping

Still trying to find out why 4001/4002 were sent to LIRR. Can't get a straight answer.
Are 4001/4002 still at the LIRR? I haven't seen them when my train passes Hillside.

by mncommuter

Re: The M-7 automated announcements

The computer knows what stops any particular train will be making, right?
So why don't I ever hear the computer voice say "This is the 5:17 train to Croton Harmon, making stops at Tarrytown, Philipse Manor, Scarborough, Ossining and Croton-Harmon"

The conductor always announces all the stops the train will make manually, something I'm sure they would rather have the computer do.

The computer only seems to say the current stop, the final destination, and the next stop.

by MN Jim

Schedules haven't been uploaded into the system because there's no easy way to upload them to the entire fleet, then maintain them in the entire fleet, until some sort of wireless communication method is established. Until then, just stopping patterns have been programmed, and the conductor selects the appropriate stopping pattern prior to departure.

I have no news on the commnication project, so no idea when this will change.

Jim

by IslesFan

mncommuter wrote:Re: The M-7 automated announcements

The computer knows what stops any particular train will be making, right?
So why don't I ever hear the computer voice say "This is the 5:17 train to Croton Harmon, making stops at Tarrytown, Philipse Manor, Scarborough, Ossining and Croton-Harmon"

The conductor always announces all the stops the train will make manually, something I'm sure they would rather have the computer do.

The computer only seems to say the current stop, the final destination, and the next stop.
On the LIRR M7's, sometimes at Jamaica, FBA, and Penn, when the system is set. It will say something like "This is the train to babylon." pause "Stopping At: Jamaica, Lynbrook... etc". I guess its how Metro North set it up.
  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

actually it is possible for LIRR trains to speak MNRR announcements. being assigned at harlem 125th street, i did announce a express to southeast, white plains first stop. GET THIS, TRAIN ENTERS 125TH STREET ON TRACK ONE SAYING BABYLON ON THE SIDE OF IT! I HAVE ALSO SEEN A CROTON HARMON LOCAL SAYING FAR ROCKAWAY. i said to my supervisor, hey is that my train going home? LOL i live near the Rosedale station on the LIRR

by Swedish Meatball

You have to remember that MNRR M7's were piggy-backed onto the LIRR's order. I'm sure when they left the factory they had already downloaded the LIRR's schedules. I believe the announcements are made using the GPS so that you will never be able to program LIRR trains into the computer until they start departing from GCT. The GPS will not allow the announcement because you are out of the area.

by N340SG

I had spoken to a communications guy from the LIRR about the sister RR's stations being announced. Like so many things M-7 right now, there are three or four versions and revisions of the communications software running around the RRs. He laughed when I mentioned that I had seen a report of an LIRR train announcing MetroNorth stops, and agreed that it does happen.
They'll get it ironed out eventually.
It does puzzle, because the system does use GPS to trigger station announcements. But, I think the system will believe it is wherever you tell it it is, if it doesn't know on it's own (malfunction, no signal, or perhaps a manual override.). Then, as was pointed out in a previous post, it will use mileage figured from the speed sensors to "dead reckon" where it is, along the route you have told it it's on.
I was in Hillside shop, and had the system think it was in Penn Station, Belmont Raceway next stop. (There is often no GPS signal available inside Hillside shop.)

by huntersails23

personally,i like the clearness of the computerized pa...but only a human can have a sense of humor as was shown on 5-5-05.

convseration over the pa went something like this...

*after usual croton harmon announcment*

"hey,if we dont open the doors,and everyone stays,do we earn overtime?"

"that would be okay,but there's an amtrak coming by in about five minutes on this track. time and a half is only good if you're alive to spend it"

station stop is croton harmon,get out of this train. sure,we loved having you,but we also like some time off.

by JayMan

Here's a generic question about the M7s, especially the MN units: I wondered, is there any particular reasons the M7s don't have the blue "pinstripe" like the M1/3s? I mean was there a reason other than the designer's aesthetic consideration?

by Silverliner II

huntersails23 wrote:personally,i like the clearness of the computerized pa...but only a human can have a sense of humor as was shown on 5-5-05.

convseration over the pa went something like this...

*after usual croton harmon announcment*

"hey,if we dont open the doors,and everyone stays,do we earn overtime?"

"that would be okay,but there's an amtrak coming by in about five minutes on this track. time and a half is only good if you're alive to spend it"

station stop is croton harmon,get out of this train. sure,we loved having you,but we also like some time off.

With the warped sense of humor that I have, I would have loved to be on that train when that announcement was made.

Then again, I wasn't quite this warped before I started working for the railroad, LOL!!! :-D

by DutchRailnut

I take it that with pinnstripe you mean the blue window band ??
painting a stainless steel vehicle is pricy and a high maintenance issue since the stripe fades like H*** in the car wash.
  by JDISTABILE

N340SG wrote:mncommuter,

Green = air brakes released in that car
Yellow = air brakes applied in that car
White = trainman controlling doors from that door panel
Red (blinking) = parking brake applied in that car
Blue = Automatic Speed Control active (Controlling car)

Tom
To Correct N340SG

The Lights Located At The Control Cab Are As Follows

Green = Brakes Released
Yellow = Brakes Applied
White = Door/Communications Panel Active
Yellow Blinking = Parking Brake Applied
Blue = Is An On Board Blue Light Installed Activated By A Special Key That Is Activated When Mechanical Forces are Servicing Equipment.

Red Steady At Doors Indicates That Door Leaf Is Open
Red Blinking Light Means That Door Is Locked Out (DISABLED)This Information true on MN M7's.