Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1494736  by DutchRailnut

not Wabtec made is only valid answer
 #1494780  by DutchRailnut

no longer self propelled , for power they have a generator, they get pulled with locomotives.
 #1494781  by newkirk

I see the orange bonnet is a nod to the gray & orange days.

Is that color orange spot on ?
 #1494787  by MACTRAXX

Backshophoss wrote:Believed to be off a Texas longhorn bull.
BSH and Everyone: M3 Sandite Cars E775 and E932 front ends are the burnt orange and white
colors of the Texas Longhorns football team. From what I heard mentioned there was a LIRR
manager or employee either from Texas or a big fan of U.T. that these colors are meant for.
I never realized that E775 has a pair of bullhorns displayed under the center headlight...

9901-9902 (now E901-E902) have entered service - the front ends are painted dark blue with a
bright yellow stripe - making them stand out (as E775 and E932 do) among other M3 cars.

MACTRAXX
 #1494891  by Tadman

Man, Long Island is about as different from Texas as you can get. Kinda funny, kinda weird. If you love Texas, LI isn't the place to be.
 #1494996  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Believed to be off a Texas longhorn bull.
9901-9902 (now E901-E902) have entered service - the front ends are painted dark blue with a bright yellow stripe - making them stand out (as E775 and E932 do) among other M3 cars. MACTRAXX
Thanks. I look forward to seeing them. Post 'em up folks!
 #1583168  by Pensyfan19

I have been informed from a friend of mine that last night (into this morning around 1 AM), an LIRR Lazer Train with M3 coaches went to Stony Brook, thus being the first time an M3 went past Huntington. Does anyone know as to why this ran to Stony Brook or Port Jeff instead of Huntington? I thought the leaf-fighting equipment used on these trains were already installed on the DEs and DMs.
 #1583183  by five0fan

If DEs and DMs already have "leaf-fighting" equipment, why do the low adhesion trains operate on the Oyster Bay branch each year?

Sand isn't "leaf-fighting", but it assists in traction. The low adhesion trains (in theory) expel the leaf/leaf residue from the rail.

Also, as previously said, M3s have been east of Huntington before.