• m/v Ever Given

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by Gilbert B Norman

As of a few moments ago. m/v Ever Given is UNDER WAY! Course 290 10.5kts.

Estimated arrival Rotterdam July 25 2000hr GMT(10PM CET).
  by eolesen

I certainly hope the voyage is without incident, and that there's not some hidden damage that will only become evident the first time they hit 20ft seas...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by Gilbert B Norman

As of a few moments ago, X-ing the Ionian Sea closing in on Sicily. 9.9kt, Hdg 91.

I'm following and reporting on this voyage because, first, I was a Fairfield Navy Cadet, and more relevant, all one need do is pick up the Journal or the Times and there will be an article on the shipping crisis. By extension, this affects the Class I roads, and their ability to handle the inevitable surge.

The maritime companies do not need to lose the tonnage m/v Ever Given represents.
  by JayBee

And the UP can't handle it, that is why they embargoed all International containers bound for Global 4 in Chicago for one week effective immediately.
  by JayBee

Also the UP just lost another mainline out of California, torrential rains near Lund, UT washed out the track in a canyon and that derailed a freight train. on the LA to Salt Lake City route. Now with the direct route to the Pacific Northwest blocked by fires and a damaged bridge, the Feather River Canyon route blocked by other fires, then this washout and derailment. That leaves just two routes out of California for the UP, the route over Donner Pass and the Sunset Route towards Arizona. BNSF is allowing the UP to detour one train each day in each direction, but no stacks and limited in length.
  by Gilbert B Norman

First, for reasons unknown m/v Ever Given is dead in the water off Syracuse, Sicily (IT). Possibly it is because traffic through the Strait is regulated and nothing has occurred to affect the vessel's seaworthiness.

Now back on the US rails and Mr. JayBee's reports, adding the LA&SL to the roster of embargoed routes will now affect previously unaffected East-West traffic. One must wonder if the ATSF-SP-GN Inside Gateway line remains open (present day BNSF has "iron clad" trackage over the UP Oakland-Keddie under the Merger Agreements).

This shipping crisis is now worldwide. While the European railways are comparative "bit players" with freight (I laugh when I see one their single level twenty car trains pass when I've been over there) in that most of their commerce moves over their East-West waterways, the flooding presently encirciling their North Sea ports like Rotterdam can only present a barrier that will not soon come down.

There will be a lot of wailing kiddies this Xmas worldwide when they open their stockings and find "rain checks" instead of whatever the "must have" is to be.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Leave it to Gray Lady's Pulitzer investigative reporting; the impact of Ever Given's grounding will be felt around the shipping community, mode including rail notwithstanding, long after the vessel calls in Rotterdam:

New York Times

Fair Use:
As it lurched up the canal, satellite data shows, the Ever Given was already putting on speed. The first pilot ordered the ship to go “full ahead,” the person familiar with the audio said, revving it up to about 13 knots, or 15 m.p.h. — much faster than the canal’s limit of about eight knots.

The second pilot tried to countermand the order, leading to another argument between the pilots. When Captain Kanthavel tried to intervene to slow the ship down, the first pilot wheeled on him, and said something that sounded like a threat to walk out, according to one of the people familiar with the investigation.

By speeding up, the pilot was likely trying to regain control of the rudder, which needs water rushing past it to work effectively, experts said. But the ship was now pushing a huge wall of water at high speed, generating impossible-to-stop momentum and putting the Ever Given at the mercy of other forces.

“Speed kills,” said Capt. Paul Foran, a maritime consultant who has navigated the Suez Canal as a ship captain. “The faster you go, the less control you have.”
Willing to bet that the Egyptians will end bearing some liability arising from the incident.
  by Gilbert B Norman

As of a few moments ago, m/v Ever Given is off the Sicilian coast sailing at 9.7kt and on a heading of 276dg.

It appears to be within a convoy heading towards the Strait.

When at Rotterdam, it (can't bring myself to referring to that powered barge as a "she"), presumably will be given a more complete survey, and as a result can be handling tonnage without further interruption until its next scheduled drydocking.

Just too many disruptions to both worldwide ocean and inland shipping this year with impact on the world's economy far beyond some kid wailing away Xmas AM all he got in his stocking was a "rain check".
  by Gilbert B Norman

The Worldwide shipping crisis, which by extension affects the mode we gather here at this Forum to discuss, is not going away anytime soon - m/v Ever Given's seaworthiness notwithstanding:

http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/AAMm8b2

Meantime aboard, someone is "putting the pedal to the metal"; 12.4kt, hdg 258, abeam Corsica
  by Gilbert B Norman

As of a few moments ago, Hdg 349 10.6kt; estimate Rotterdam Jul 29 0200 GMT. On the open sea near Sines, PRT.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well, "dead in the water" again; N51.24 W3.09, or in the Channel roundly off St Mere Eglise, FRA. No change in the Jul 29 0200 GMT at Rotterdam.

Probably awaiting a berth there.
  by Gilbert B Norman

m/v Ever Given is now DOCKED at Rotterdam.

Here endeth the Epistle!!!
  by R&DB

well at lease they got it in before it sank. From what I've seen heard and read , it's most likely a total loss.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well first, Mr. R&DB, let's us give thanks that the vessel did not flounder, or worse, founder.

I would presume that the "next call" will be at a drydock for a more complete survey, and if found to be seaworthy, back in service in, say, a month.

The maritime shipping industry does not need the loss of TEU capacity Ever Given represents; nor for that matter do the Class I's over here need the disruption to the flow of traffic any surge would cause.
  by mmi16

R&DB wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:22 am well at lease they got it in before it sank. From what I've seen heard and read , it's most likely a total loss.
Don't know what you have seen or heard - from what I was able to see - a few weeks in a ship yard it will be dieseling on at full speed and full capacity.