Railroad Forums 

• M&E High Bridge Branch

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1331075  by rr503

First, hello! :-D
I'm new here (but I've been reading the forums for more than a year), and was wondering what customers the M&E serves on what is left of the CNJ High Bridge branch?
 #1332033  by mandealco

Hi
There is a lot of great info on the M&E's own website, no customer info these days, but locations of transload facilities. There is also some good info on the Wiki site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morristown ... ie_Railway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not sure how current a lot of this is, but worth a read.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Steve
NZ
 #1332146  by R36 Combine Coach

The one lone customer on the south end of the line, Triumph Plastics, receives a delivery about once a month. Between 2008 and 2013 there was no service south of U.S. Route 46 except annual Toys For Tots.
 #1332149  by rr503

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The one lone customer on the south end of the line, Triumph Plastics, receives a delivery about once a month. Between 2008 and 2013 there was no service south of U.S. Route 46 except annual Toys For Tots.
Thanks to both of you
There was a national chain store (Toys r us according to wiki) that had a rail served warehouse at the end of the line, but I also remember that they stopped receiving by rail a few years ago.
When/why did they stop using rail?
 #1332367  by ccutler

There may be some issue for the warehouses that the M&E lines can't yet receive Plate F boxcars from the Phillipsburg end, which constrains the efficiency of shipping by rail for lower density goods.
 #1332521  by rr503

ccutler wrote:There may be some issue for the warehouses that the M&E lines can't yet receive Plate F boxcars from the Phillipsburg end, which constrains the efficiency of shipping by rail for lower density goods.
Isn't there a plan by njdot (or maybe it's the county) to fix that?
I know this is off topic, but does the M&E actually runs to CSX in south Kearny? If so, via which route?
 #1332534  by Chrisgr

They go down the Morris & Essex line to interchange with CSX. I'm not sure if they go to South Kearny. I thought it was Harrison where they picked up cars.
 #1332587  by rr503

Chrisgr wrote:They go down the Morris & Essex line to interchange with CSX. I'm not sure if they go to South Kearny. I thought it was Harrison where they picked up cars.
How often do they go there, and when they do, how many cars do they have?
Thanks!
 #1345126  by R36 Combine Coach

The Conrail/CSX interchange with M&E is at Center Street in Harrison, just east of Newark Broad Street and next to I-280.