Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by transitosapien

The M-8 design is out for bid, with a contract expected by spring, according to this 12/06/05 article in the Stamford Advocate:
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/lo ... -headlines

I'm glad to see that Alstom isn't on the list of qualified bidders. Bombardier, Kawasaki, and Siemens are.

by NJD8598

A big step in the right direction for the state, I'm glad to see that everything is on track, and that nothing big has gotten in the way of the process.

by Alcochaser

I take it these will be in three car sets?

Anyone have the detailed specs sent to these companies?

by Clean Cab

I'm happy that MN is finally getting some new cars for the New Haven line. From what I've heard these M8s will be able to run on an incredible range of voltages (25,000, 12,500, 11,000 AC and 700 DC). There is even a rumor that a special 3rd rail mechanism that would allow for operation into Penn Station is being considered. These cars are all supposed to have the Amtrak ACSES cab signal system to, so technically, these cars could run from Boston to Washington DC as well as on all MN divisions. Now thats versatility!!

You must add in another 100 cars that the MTA must purchase as part of the deal, so I guess we could be looking at over 400 cars?

I'm very anxious to see them.

by RailBus63

From the Stamford Advocate article:
The state also announced that a consultant has been retained to help design the rail car's interior. A design could be completed in the next month and tested by Metro-North consumer focus groups at the beginning of next year, railroad spokesman Dan Brucker said.
Uh, why not just use the same interior as the M-7 cars? What a waste of time and money.

JD

by dc700

RailBus63 wrote:From the Stamford Advocate article:
The state also announced that a consultant has been retained to help design the rail car's interior. A design could be completed in the next month and tested by Metro-North consumer focus groups at the beginning of next year, railroad spokesman Dan Brucker said.
Uh, why not just use the same interior as the M-7 cars? What a waste of time and money.

JD
Because it is awful. :(

M-8

by Tom Curtin

Perhaps nobody knows the answer to this but I'll pitch the question anyway: is the plan for the M-8 carbody to be identical to the M-7, just as the M-2 body was identical to the M-1? Just wondering

by pnaw10

RailBus63 wrote: Uh, why not just use the same interior as the M-7 cars? What a waste of time and money.
I could be wrong, but the exterior differences involved with having pantographs for overhead power could have an effect on the amount of available space inside the cars.

Also, it's possible that CDOT thinks the M7/7A interior is too costly? Perhaps they've requested interiors that would be cheaper to make... less "luxurious" seats and that kind of thing. Unfortunately, when it comes to gear for the New Haven Line, MTA doesn't have total say over how things happen. CDOT is providing funding for the new cars, so they get some "input" in the design.

Too many cooks in the kitchen, but without CDOT's financing, the NH Line wouldn't be getting any new cars period. MTA wouldn't (and shouldn't have to) shoulder the bill for all that new gear on its own.

by Lirr168

capecodlocoguy wrote:There is even a rumor that a special 3rd rail mechanism that would allow for operation into Penn Station is being considered.
I highly doubt it; track space is already very limited at Penn. Besides that, how are trains going to get in there?

by Alcochaser

capecodlocoguy wrote:I'm happy that MN is finally getting some new cars for the New Haven line. From what I've heard these M8s will be able to run on an incredible range of voltages (25,000, 12,500, 11,000 AC and 700 DC). There is even a rumor that a special 3rd rail mechanism that would allow for operation into Penn Station is being considered. These cars are all supposed to have the Amtrak ACSES cab signal system to, so technically, these cars could run from Boston to Washington DC as well as on all MN divisions. Now thats versatility!!

You must add in another 100 cars that the MTA must purchase as part of the deal, so I guess we could be looking at over 400 cars?

I'm very anxious to see them.
Why would it need LIRR style third rail..... as long as it has 12,500V 25HZ and 25000V/11000V 60HZ capabillity.. you don't need the third rail to get into Penn.

by Clean Cab

I doubt if the interior will be any different from the M7s, except for the seats being red (maroon) instead of blue. MN likes to keep all it's MU car interiors the same.

Time will tell if the M8s do indeed come with special 3rd rail gear that could possibly allow them to go into Penn Station. My best guess is that it might be some king of hydraulically powered device that would raise the shoe up to keep it clear of LIRR 3rd rail, and use the overhead wire to get into Penn. Something like on the Amtrak P32-ACDMs.

CDOT did once mention running through trains from Old Saybrook to Penn Station, but nothing ever came of it. I to highly doubt we'll ever see any MN trains in Penn Station, but you never know!!!

by pnaw10

Lirr168 wrote:I highly doubt it; track space is already very limited at Penn. Besides that, how are trains going to get in there?
I doubt it too, but the MTA proposal calls for MN trains to follow the route Amtrak currently follows to get from the NH line to Penn.

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/psas/

Previous discussion on this board indicates that yes, Penn is at or near capacity already. Serious work on getting MN into Penn would first require serious work on getting significant LIRR traffic diverted to GCT, so there would be more room at Penn.

http://www.mta.info/capconstr/esas/

I'm on the fence about having two different "destinations" for Metro-North though. What if you want to go to GCT, but the only train at your desired time of departure is an express to Penn? They ruled out a connection between GCT and Penn as being too costly. But wouldn't it be more efficent to have the same one train stop at both terminals, instead of having to transfer somewhere further up the line, or having to run twice as many trains so constant service can be provided to both locations?

I don't know, I just don't see it happening. And if it does, I question how successful it would be. It just doesn't make sense to take traffic away from an underused facility and bring more traffic to a full facility.
  by fordhamroad

-any study of a New Rochelle-Penn shuttle, to allow Metro North and CDOT pasengers transfer to the LIRR or NJT lines, or easier access to jobs on the West Side of Manhattan? This needn't be full service, but some service. A few trains could do through runs during rush hours. LIRR has managed to split its runs for years between Penn Station and Atlantic Avenue. Metro North now runs several branch lines on a shuttle plus a few rush hour expresses basis. Why not add the Penn Branch to Metro North, within the limited capacity that may open up whenever GCT is finished.
Roger

by RailBus63

dc700 wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:Uh, why not just use the same interior as the M-7 cars? What a waste of time and money.

JD
Because it is awful. :(
How so? I've ridden the M-7's and thought the interior design was fine.

JD

by JayMan

Now I'm curious to see what the designers of these cars came up with.