Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by metroduff

This is the same person who wrote the article on how MNR T&E staff make six-figure salaries -- by taking extra work -- as if it were a scandal.

by DutchRailnut

yup Karen Halbfinger, MTA's poison pen is back.
Most T&E people she claimed were contacted for that article were never contacted, so her credibility is about zero in my opinion.
Time for News paper to unload her non credible butt.

by mncommuter

Another aspect of the new trains that is getting tweaked is their doors. It takes twice as long for the doors on these trains to open or close as it does on other electric cars, so some conductors aren't as quick to reopen a door for a late-arriving rider as they once were. Anders said software changes were developed to cut down the open or close time from 10 seconds to 7.5 seconds, reducing the duration of the alarm and the pause between the conductor pressing the open-close button and the door's motor starting. As the train cars come into the shop for routine maintenance, the software changes are being installed.
Is this part about the doors true?
Do conductors find that it's helping?

by DutchRailnut

Train service manual instructs Conductors not to reopen doors and not wait for late arriving customers, and in my opinion why should one late commuter make another 800 or so on time passengers late.

by Nasadowsk

On the flip side, 700,000 miles MDBF isn't bad for an 'overcomplicated unreliable computer controlled train'. I doubt you see much better anywhere else, save for Japan maybe.

by District D RTC

All I can say about the M7's is that they are uncomfortable for anyone who is tall. Us tall folk have knees, and we enjoy being able to use them after we ride the train. It is for that reason that I often stand instead of sit on M7's. Unless I can get a "facing seat" or an "open area" seat, I usually decide to stand, or sit crossways taking up one seat my self and one for my legs to reach into.

The cars are still teething, and therefore are still having plenty of problems. The eleven-second door lag for one, intermittent door failures without working "door OOS" lights for two, and a hell of a problem with flat-spots and slip-slide. It seems the cars computer aided braking loves to dump the train while the operator tries to control it in slippery areas, making for square wheels.

by DutchRailnut

It dumps because the train just runs out of air, due to brakes cyceling during slipslide.
The compressors just cant keep up and if main reservoir drops below a set level the train dumps. same on M1/M2/M3/M4/M6

by brnxvill

I've noticed that while waiting for a train, and an M7 passes a station on another track at high speed it is EXTREMELY loud, way louder than a similar M1 or even a Gennie unit also trqaveling at the same speed. Also, when they pull into 125th St they really shake the platform, again, more so than M1's , Gennies, or M3's. I know they are heavy but are they THAT much heavier to makeall that noise at speed?

by Dieter

I have to echo District D RTC's complaint about discomfort, and I'm not a tall guy.

Tall people are sure to bang their brains out on the luggage rack. Not so tall people do. Tall people are sure to get a kink in their backs when getting a window seat.

Tall people, not so tall people, thin people and fat people will all have this problem with M-7 seating; You can't stand up straight and turn around between the seats.

What do you do on departure from GCT when you've found a seat and people are thundering down the aisle? You get between the seats, take your coat off and stow your gear overhead, right?

The space between the seats on the M-7's is akin to that between the seats on a 727 in the third world. It is impossible to put your coat on or off or turn around to stow things while trying to stand between the seats, without being a contortionist!

With this problem, I am greatful though, for a generous number of hand grips for hoisting yourself out of a seat which is carelessly placed too close to the one in front of it. The next scream you hear in an M-7 is that of someone getting their hair accidentally pulled!

Dieter.