Railroad Forums 

• LV Service at Weedsport, NY (1950)

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1365649  by msorendo53

Am in the process of building a website pertaining to modeling Weedsport; in the meantime, have managed to begin to assemble the first stage diorama from the Jordan Rd./North St./Rte. 31 crossing to the bridge at Putnam Creek.
Attachments:
Weedsport Yard 2a.JPG
Weedsport Yard 2a.JPG (153.53 KiB) Viewed 10137 times
 #1370269  by lvrr325

FWIW, you can probably see this from Google Street View, when I pass by there the ROW is still somewhat apparent north of Rt. 31 including a steel quonset hut that has a flat side with a dock which appears to me to have been done purposely for boxcar unloading.
 #1370320  by msorendo53

Thanks! Yes, I've seen that view in a search about Weedsport as it is today, trying to get a view into town. I'm curious about the Quonset hut there, and when it was put in. I think there is a marker somewhere close.
If I get up there, is it possible to walk the r-o-w to Putnam's Creek?
thanks again.
 #1370321  by msorendo53

For your information; The Herbert Trice Collection is now open for research at the Cayuga County Historian's Office in Auburn. From my understanding, it is quite extensive. Here's the link:
http://www.cayugacounty.us/Community/Historian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A partial indexing of the material is available

Can't wait to get up there to see it!

Mike
 #1371514  by lvrr325

At least some of that ROW appears to be private property. I explored around where it crossed the former NYC - the bottom two tiers of stone for the north abutment are still there, but the rest, including most of the fill to the north, is gone.

Somewhere I had a tax file on that line and it ends in 1961 with the tracks gone and the property transferred to a different subsidiary for disposal.

You can hike parts of the line to the north, through Cato to Sterling.
 #1372216  by OvidPete

Went to Auburn today 2/22 and looked at the Herbert Trice collection. Only got through three of the 47 boxes. Lots of documentation, rosters of employees, photos some of which I have never seen before.

I hope to get back in a few weeks. They do not allow camera but will photo copy for you (0.25$ per copy). The photos do not photo copy well.

Pete
 #1386404  by lvrr325

The pier with the train painted on it along Rt. 31 west of the village is West Shore. The LV crossed Rt. 31 about 90' around 100 yards or so east of the intersection with Rt. 34, it was parallel to and just west of the north-south segment of Towpath Road.

The Google Map shows the Canalway Trail continues east-west through this area, it may be possible to access some of the ROW from that. But it appears to be grown over with trees and not readily visible.

Weedsport Free Library is built on the ROW where it once crossed over E. Brutus St. via a fairly substantial bridge, which I remember but was removed in the 1980s. You can still pick out where it crossed NY-34 at about a 45' angle south of town.
 #1386981  by lehigh310

msorendo53 wrote: High Bridge L361A between Auburn and Weedsport. Searched for it, but never found. Evidently, a source for some local hijinx!
Is this bridge definitely between Auburn and Weedsport? I did a quick scour of that section of the line on Google Maps' Aerial View, and nothing jumped out at me that might require a bridge that high.

Could this be the bridge over the Seneca River (about a mile north of Weedsport)?

-Aric
 #1388266  by msorendo53

I'm sure Mr. Trice's photo of Bridge L361A is between Weedsport and Auburn, as it was labeled as such by him. the photo was cataloged as C337. It was one of several photos that he gave me. Where it was, i'm not exactly sure, although i believe it was closer to Weedsport than Auburn. I can't tell if there is water or a road under the bridge, but either way, it is a fairly substantial structure.
Mike
 #1388399  by TB Diamond

Reference the Auburn Branch:

Throop was at MP 359.8, West Shore (Jct.) was at MP 364.9.

Bridge L361A was located between those two stations.