Railroad Forums 

• LV main north of Allentown abandoned now?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#787801  by planettelex

I'm not usually in the area, but I drove over the track on the Route 22 bridge yesterday, and it looked like some brush clearing had occurred and continued north out of sight from the bridge... any recent news on the line? thanks...
 #788235  by carajul

I was looking thru photos I took in 1998 and while the track was not in great shape then, the tracks were definately in use as they had a definite shine to them.
 #798281  by bigpistol

Went to the Old Lehigh Valley Main yesterday to take some pictures. On my way over I stop at Basin Street and saw R.J. Corman Engine. I talk to the train engineer and He, told me to go over to the LV Main. Said he would be over there in a few minutes. He also sad they make 4-5 trips a week on the main. He was moving Haz-Mat tankers and a few cars. The line goes all the upto Catty. Looks like the cars are being move/storing just above Lehigh Steel.

Some pictures taken on the LV Main by Bucky Boyle Park...

Image Image
 #800369  by carajul

I drove on Rt 22 today and over the Lehigh River bridge looked down at the LVRR tracks. Definately 'something' going on. All the vegitation was removed from the rails. Looked all chopped up like salad on the side of the tracks.
 #810407  by ecm4

Went through the area this morning, and Corman must be having some problems with the signals at Front and Linden Sts -- the crossing gates were down on the Linden St section, but not a train in sight. Traffic was forced to drive around the gates to get through. Last week the gates were up, but half the lights were lit up solid. Stuck relay of some sort?
 #810584  by carajul

Well there hasn't been preventative maintinence on the flashers in 10 years, and the flashers themselves look like they're from the 1950s or 1960s. So what's to expected.
 #812884  by carajul

Here is a video I found on Youtube of RJ Corman going up the LV main, spotting a few tank cars seemingly in the middle of nowhere, returning to town and going across Union St back to their facility.

Can you believe this was the LV main that hosted the "Asa Packer" and 65mph+ Apollo piggy back trains?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo9yiX0j ... re=related
 #813547  by 56-57

Honestly, I don't know if he's still with Corman.. I just vaguely remember him when he was with Railtours in Jim Thorpe..

MJK