Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#662204  by buddah

Well to finish this topic up or bring it back from the dead recently MSN has updated there map and now shows the EX-AMTK LRC's in VIA Rails Maintenance yard. What a waste sitting in a dead line.... makes me want to rehab them or at least have them donated.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
 #662519  by timberley

That map looks nice!

Can anyone explain though....the ex-Amtrak LRCs (you can tell which ones they are because the first two cars are the food-service variant, with a space between the windows in the middle) are sitting coupled behind a Budd baggage car, and a P42. Anyone explain why?
 #662566  by ramonesfan

maybe they were towed out of storage and will be restored to via lively.
 #662682  by timberley

After asking that question, I realized I know part of the answer anyway....I have photos of those coaches at VIA's MMC, and in them I can see that the coach in front of them is a badly wreck-damaged car. I'm still not sure why the P42 was there, possibly just for convenient storage space, or moving them. Who knows. I would say though that there is very little chance of VIA using them again. They did repaint some of the ex-Amtrak cars for service for a while, but they didn't last long before being retired.
 #662695  by buddah

Yes timberley u are correct, as Ken ( the MOD ) has told me those cars will possibly never see VIA rail service again, there possibly being cannibalized for any parts that could be used on the in service VIA LRC fleet. I wouldn't say they will never see rail service again as Im sure a private interest group or museum ( like: the Illinois railway museum) wouldn't mind taking them in, and rehab them for use on excursion runs, Just don't expect any revenue service ( unless maybe Northlander ? ). I wonder myself If VIA would donate them to a non for profit group.

PS: There HEP and electrical systems don't match VIA's locomotives but if you put them behind a Amtrak P40/42 they would in theory work just fine.
 #662718  by ramonesfan

if there being towed there's no need to hook them up to the HEP and if via rail wanted to use them they could just use an adapter so there compatible with the HEP of the via locos.
 #663497  by viahogger

timberley wrote:That map looks nice!

Can anyone explain though....the ex-Amtrak LRCs (you can tell which ones they are because the first two cars are the food-service variant, with a space between the windows in the middle) are sitting coupled behind a Budd baggage car, and a P42. Anyone explain why?

The Budd baggage car was wreak damaged (after it was involved in an accident with a log truck IIRC) and the P42 caught fire at the MMC and has since been rebuilt and repainted (917) which is quite
noticeable next to other P42's. As for the ex-Amtrak LRC 1's they could conceivably be hauled again by Via units. At one time certain Via Rail units were converted to be able to haul Via or Amtrak equipment and had a breaker in the cab that could be switched to accommodate either type of equipment. I highly doubt these car will ever be used again, though it's too bad they couldn't be included in the LRC refurbishment program to add to the fleet.
 #663757  by buddah

Viahogger It would be great to see those cars added into the LRC refurbishment project. It would be a great promo blitz for lets say the Maple leaf to use equipment from both sides of the border like in the old days of the international. Amtrak supplies 2 retired P40 s refurbished (more than simple enough) and VIA supplies the 10 ex Amtrak LRC cars and only that equipment will share a standardized north American paint scheme unique to it being an international route maybe a mix of VIA rail and Amtrak paints and logos or something like the cascades talgo set. Since they both already own the equipment there's no need for new rolling stock purchase like in the case of the talgos... The old ex Amtrak LRC already qualified for FRA clearance so a rebuild is perfect. AAHH just a dream, but what a dream would love to see the two agencies working together on a project.
 #667541  by buddah

Hello friends.. A question just came up in the Amtrak forum on the cost to rehab/rebuild the LRC cars vs. the cost to Amtrak to rehab/rebuild there own fleet of amfleet cars. So Coming back over I noticed its not mentioned anywhere here. Does anyone have the figures on the rehab cost per car and whats included ? I believe I saw somewhere in a news print its around $500k per car would that be correct?
 #667647  by Ken V

In VIA Rail's announcement today it says
The Light, Rapid and Comfortable (LRC) fleet overhaul, a $98.9 million contract, will fully renew all 98 of VIA's Canadian-built cars. The overhaul will not only renew them for up to 20 additional years of fast, comfortable and reliable service, but also reduce their energy requirements by up to 20 per cent, making them more cost-effective and reducing their already-low environmental footprint.
VIA Press Release
 #667653  by buddah

Thanks for the info Ken, the timing couldn't have been better... I recently ran across a page on the interior design any insight on that I presume this is what the VIA 1 class LRC cars will look like once overhauled...
http://www.featurefactory.com/nm-newsshow.asp?story=414

any Ideal or releases about the Coaches ( economy class) ?
 #670394  by chriskay

Wait, I'm confused... I've seen some refurbished LRC cars with new interior colours, new artwork, new carpet, and reupholstered seats. Are these not the refurbs? And if not, why did they bother with those upgrades?
 #683349  by espeefoamer

I remember the LRC cars as being rather uncomfortable.I sure hope VIA improves the seats in the rebuilding.
 #683410  by jp1822

I was surprised with the LRC VIA 1 class car. It certainly did not offer the extra legroom that one would get if on Acela Express First Class or an Amfleet Business Class Car (Amfleet low density car). On a couple of journeys, the person sitting in front of me literally reclined his seat all the way and I felt I was completely boxed in. Getting the tray out for meal time was a challenge, but thankfully they put the seats back up when the meal was sered, then reclined right back. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the LRC VIA 1 class car on these two trips. I only had one other trip to compare to, and it was "ok" seating.
 #687478  by buddah

jp1822 wrote:I was surprised with the LRC VIA 1 class car. It certainly did not offer the extra legroom that one would get if on Acela Express First Class or an Amfleet Business Class Car (Amfleet low density car). On a couple of journeys, the person sitting in front of me literally reclined his seat all the way and I felt I was completely boxed in. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the LRC VIA 1 class car on these two trips..
The VIA 1 class cars or business class as there calling it now is going to be a 2-1 seating arrangement after rebuild ( similar to the renaissance cars but wider) from what was said and designs from research groups that were previously accepted by VIA. the one I knew of was recently removed from the net so I don't have an example to show you, Im not sure how much leg room will be added but now you will have arm room. Id like to know what if any improvements are going to be done to the coach class cars.