Railroad Forums 

• Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1517111  by Hux

Crusader occupied half of the building that now serves Crystal. I worked there in summer of ‘81. I didn’t operate a clamp truck so I never unloaded the spools of paperboard from the box cars. I don’t know why it was done, maybe so there was airflow on hot days, but the box car outer door was often open, I recall one occasion where the clamp truck operator managed to back out the open door with a roll in the clamp. Funny...but not.
 #1517517  by bostontrainguy

newpylong wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:26 am They are supposed to have 6 spots just off the mainline on the main Industrial Ave spur.
The property doesn't look that big. I would think they are going to be greatly constrained by lack of physical space.

Incidentally, the state does plan to reconnect New Boston Street with a new bridge over the mainline just south of here.
 #1517608  by Hux

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:40 am
newpylong wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:26 am They are supposed to have 6 spots just off the mainline on the main Industrial Ave spur.
The property doesn't look that big. I would think they are going to be greatly constrained by lack of physical space.

Incidentally, the state does plan to reconnect New Boston Street with a new bridge over the mainline just south of here.
Coming out of Landscape Express this morning I shot a look over towards "the bridge" and thought "a crossing at grade would be better but for the likely truck traffic." The more you look at the area the less sense it makes to build a bridge. That end of New Boston is narrow and is at grade and would require a lot of land for building approach ramps.
 #1517609  by l008com

Its been what, 40 years since there was a bridge? Who is this bridge for? That said there are no grade crossings between west medford and xpedx in wilmington. I don't think they like adding them. Why add anything though. It will be a good spot to take pics, and I'm sure it's very confusing having two disjointed New Boston Road's. I dunno, seems weird.
 #1517649  by newpylong

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:40 am

You can fit about 8 cars between the foul point and Woburn Street - and their property abuts all of that space.
 #1517669  by l008com

FatNoah wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:43 am
Who is this bridge for?
According to this:
https://www.ctps.org/data/calendar/pdfs ... andout.pdf

The bridge provides alternative, parallel routes for traffic going to either I-93 or I-95, better access to Anderson/Woburn, and can help relieve pressure during the eventual I-93/I-95 interchange construction.
Very interesting. It appears they aren't just restoring the bridge in place, they're reconfiguring the whole area. Which means no more unloading of transformers off that spur.
 #1517718  by GP40MC1118

That spur is the old New England Resin siding, now off No.4 Track at Anderson RTC (Wilbur Interlocking).
If NE Transrail gets to build on the old Olin site, they did plan on connecting to this track, providing access
to their property from both ends (the other being the spur at North Woburn Jct/the old cement plant).

D
 #1517734  by l008com

Yes, the spur will still exist, but it will no longer be at ground level. It will be surrounded by embankments making it unusable for random large load unloading. It will still be there so they can still connect it to whatever they want to in the future.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting