Railroad Forums 

• Loring AFB Engine

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#573097  by Turbo231

I'll ask in this forum because the BAR was the closet and the only one to interchange with them.

I could have sworn in some railroad forum that there were recent pictures of the Baldwin Switcher located up at the former Loring Air Force Base in Limestone. Does anyone have a link to a modern picture?

I ask because I was chatting with Wayne Duplisea, a former BAR engineer, and long story short, might this Loring Engine make a good unit for the Downeast Heritage railroad? If it runs, it's small, probably in good shape, and seeming easy to ship....plus its chuck full of Maine history...I won't get into the lack of parts, but it seems like a good fit.

And feel free to tell me it left the property long ago never to be seen again. Seems my forum posts end that way. :-)

If the moderators think this should be elsewhere, I'm sorry for mis-posting it. I was thinking the MMA/BAR fans would be the best bet for information.
 #574144  by oibu

Still in the shed at the base, no idea why or condition. Assume still owned by USAF, but possibly owned by the industrial park or someone connected therewith?

Getting it out would be an issue, as neither the base rr or Limestone branch have seen a train in a long while.
 #574206  by Tom Tancula

Centre (correct spelling of' 'center'). It is stored under roof behind locked doors at the "base" in their engine house.

The unit is a low mileage Baldwin, I believe an S-12. One of MMA's top mechanical experts looked at the unit soon after MMA started. It appeared to be in complete and in running condition, and even had a Kim Hot Start unit. Since the branch line is isolated, the locomotive would need to be lifted with a crane and trucked out to the nearest rail head.

The down side was possible deterioration of motor and generator insulation, and possible asbestos on the cooling water piping.

There is also an Air Force snow plow in front of the engine house.

TNT
 #576803  by jonnhrr

Many years ago (when I was there for AFROTC training) I remember seeing what I think is an MRS1 there (the military version of the Alco RS1) - is that still around?

Jon
 #578075  by Turbo231

Thanks for the information...I moved it along to those who need to know. :-D